Mac Forums Sunday Chat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mac-Forums September22 Live Broadcast

The first Mac-Forums live broadcast is in the books. Safe to say Van and I enjoyed it and we hope you enjoyed watching.

If you have suggestions / possible topics for next week post them here. That way I can do some homework and at least sound like I know what I am talking about. As usual we'll try to respond to questions from the thread as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will join next time if my connection will support it. Since I moved here with friends internet is very weak. Maybe we can do a test sometime this week. Will PM you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sent a PM and a reminder is in iCal as well.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
At first I couldn't figure out who was who but as soon as I heard that Canadian accent.....
And here I was thinking "man, Sly has quite the American accent", haha.

Only caught the last 40 minutes or so, but good job guys!
Thanks! We're going to try it again and see if people want to join in on the conversation.

I knew who both were instantly but I cheated as I have been friends with Van for a while and know what he looks like! :D Grin
That helps. ;)

C

chas_m

I'm not per se bashing T-Mob here, but my experience with them on a recent trip to Florida was pretty bad (I was in the downtown Orlando area the entire trip). I'm sure they're better in other places, but at the moment I wouldn't use them again if I was visiting Orlando unless I had no other options. AT&T is fantastic in Orlando, can't comment on Verizon or Sprint (I didn't like Sprint much when I had them as a home-phone supplier, but that's not cellular).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Around here (Dallas - Fort Worth) T-Mobile is as good as any other carrier. However, once you get on I-35 and travel either North or South of the Metro area their coverage is spotty at best. Verizon generally has the best coverage in my opinion with AT&T almost as good. Sprint is getting better but generally not as good as the big two.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just looked on T-Mobile's coverage map and it looks like I followed a perfect path from the border to NYC in that I was supposedly covered the entire time. I'm guessing that I didn't take that path exactly then because once you get off that highway in the middle of the state, you're in no man's land when it comes to getting a signal.

This is the one thing that frustrates me about cell phones - dark spots. Taking the train from Ottawa to Toronto is good if you're within 45 minutes of each. Otherwise, it's "holy crap, check everything quickly before the signal drops!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This was done by the looks of it with Google Hangout, but too early in the morning for us poor poor Aussies . . . Im downloading it now and will check it at my leisure but looks like a great idea, but i did keep seeing Sly's missus checking up on him a bit lol

Keep this thread as the HangOut Thread, and post times next time and ill see if i can join, (with a inferior Cam as i sliced the connection to my iSight replacing the Optical Drive out for my SSD) :(

Keep it up gents, and yes i know Van too from our FB interactions, but Sly i had a totally different look for you in my head :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep it up gents, and yes i know Van too from our FB interactions, but Sly i had a totally different look for you in my head :p

lol. I'm afraid to ask what look you had in mind.

That was indeed done with Google Hangouts. Van approached me with the idea as a means of adding some extra features to the Mac-forums experience. We're still at the brainstorming / experimentation stage so any ideas are welcome.

According to their website Google Hangouts can have as many as 10 participants at a time. We would certainly like to experiment with that sometime in the near future. Assuming that this limit is accurate, a few things occurred to us:

1. This might be an interesting replacement/adjunct for the Sunday IRC chats which seem to be dead at the moment. It's nice to put faces to the names.

2. Our European/Aussie contingent might be interested in hosting an event at times more convenient for them.

3. Roundtable discussion of future keynotes as they happen. I realize live participation there would depend upon people's work schedule.

The mini treatise is over now. We rejoin our regular programming already in progress.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sly, I hope this is no taken in a put down way because it's a compliment. I always figured you were much older as your friend with Rick and James. You looked so young in that chat I was not sure it was you at first! :D That is a compliment!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
lol. I'm afraid to ask what look you had in mind.

That was indeed done with Google Hangouts. Van approached me with the idea as a means of adding some extra features to the Mac-forums experience. We're still at the brainstorming / experimentation stage so any ideas are welcome.

All good my friend, just the stereo typical Editor shirt and tie type thing, but know realising Nth Louisiana i can hear your thick American Accent and i like it :) Would love to get in a Hangout one time though :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If ya'll ever get to hear me, neither of those 2 have an accent at all.
I was half expectin' to hear a cajun from the swamps.;)

And what, does everyone that hangs out in forums have a beard?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm a bit too far in North Louisiana for a Cajun accent. Some of my Cajun buddies are even wondering if we should be part of the same state.

Grew the beard in college because I was often mistaken for someone several years younger. Now that I am past the half century mark I'm starting to question that decision.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a recent addition to my face. Still working through what I plan to do with it.

Enjoy the show this weekend gents. I'll join in next Sunday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well if i was to join in, you would see a Bronzed Aussie clean shaven :)

Grew the beard in college because I was often mistaken for someone several years younger. Now that I am past the half century mark I'm starting to question that decision.

And there you go, i would of put late 30's early 40's on that face mate ;)

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if i was to join in, you would see a Bronzed Aussie clean shaven :)
We require authentic participation. In other words, you can't throw up a picture of someone else on the screen. :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We require authentic participation. In other words, you can't throw up a picture of someone else on the screen. :p

Guess I better mail Denzel his pic back then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

All us Aussie's look the same :p

G5ab4oW.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming all goes well we will be kicking off in a bit. I have been banished from the computer room and must move some gear to the living room.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Forums September 22 Live Broadcast

Mac-forums broadcast is live.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.