Mac Forums Sunday Chat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's Mac-Forums Sunday chat time again folks. 7:00 p.m. Central Time as usual. Look for the forum roundup, a few Apple Watch tips, and any other tips between. If you bought mom a new phone or tablet for Mother's Day I'll include a suggestion for making the gift even better.

Replacing the stock notifications on the Apple watch with custom notifications is easy. Follow these directions. My suggestion is keep the new notifications short in case they are going to other watch wearers.

Dismiss several notifications at once on the Apple watch. This tip relies on Force Touch

Restoring Apple watch from backup

If you've gotten mom an iPhone, iPad or other tech gadget consider making the gift a bit more personal by customizing it a bit. Add pictures for the contacts, custom ringtones etc.

Get a jump on next Mother's Day by all of those old photos and videos into a digital project of some sort.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac-Forums Sunday chat will be taking a brief hiatus this week while I wrap up a few loose ends / other commitments. We'll be back on schedule next week.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac-Forums Sunday Video chat is back after a brief hiatus. 7;00 p.m. Central Time as usual. Look for an array of tips and tricks, the usual forum roundup and perhaps a min rant or two. Still working on the final content.

Apples Watch apps about to get speed boost they badly need
Cult of Mac’s Buster Hein reportsthat developers of third party apps for the Apple watch will get native access to the watch. The change, which is expected to be announced at WWDC should make Apple Watch apps faster, and five them wider access to more sensors.

Richard Howarth takes ever as Apple’s VP of industrial design replacing Jony Ive who becomes chief design officer. Howarth has been the lead designer on many of Apple’s most important products, including the first iPod; the titanium PowerBook G4; the first plastic MacBooks; and the first iPhone.

If you haven’t purchased your Apple watch yet have a look at this description of some things that could be improved. Some of these problems could be addressed by allowing third party apps to access the watch.

Normally when you pay for something with a credit/debit card the account number is visible. With Apple Pay that information is encrypted and isn’t even stored on Apple’s server.. The card associated with Apple Pay is stored on the Device Account Number,

Before trying to update the software on your Apple watch make sure you’re in range of a good Wi-Fin connection. Some users on the Apple forum reports that when the update was attempted with weak wi-fi hung up.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Instead of the usual Sunday chat I was considering having one after the WWDC keynote Monday June 8, 2015 either immediately after the keynote or later that night. I'd like to have some of our more knowledgeable members in a round table discussion if possible. If interested let me know and we can work out a convenient time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been rearranging furniture in the broadcast bunker all day and forgot to post the link of tonight's video. Rather than race to get a link out that almost no one will notice I'll run the chat tomorrow (June 15, 2015) at the usual 7:00 p. m. U. S. Central Time. Stay tuned for the link here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a brief hiatus the Mac-Forums video chat will be back tonight. Look for an overview of the WWDC Keynote address, probably a few tips, and whatever else comes to mind. 7:00 pm US Central Time as usual. Mac-Forums Video Chat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's Mac-Forums Sunday Chat time again folks. 7:00 p.m. US Central Time as usual. Hope you can join us for all the tips, tricks, and Mac-related information.

Show Notes

Cult of Mac has some rumors of possible new features for the next iPhone. Suggested improvements include a 12 megapixel camera, stronger case, and support for force touch. My personal bet is that force touch support is almost a certainty.

If you have an Apple Watch and ask Siri for the time you may receive any one of several smart aleck remarks from Siri.

Member Dtravis7 has posted a link for owners of 27 in. iMacs with 3 TB hard drives. Apple has launched a recall of some of these models due to drive issues. To see if your iMac is affected go to this page and enter your serial number.

Some of know that you can use Groups and Smart Groups features in Contacts to do things such as create e-mail lists. If you use the contents of the Notes field as a search criteria that group can contain more than one piece of information. Make sure each piece of information is separated by spaces and the Smart Groups search feature can use any of the information in this field for building groups.

If you create a group in Contacts then enter the name of that group in Mail you can easily send an e-mail to every member of the group. The alternative method is to open Contacts, right-click the name of a group and choose the Send Email option from the contextual menu.

If you use the Contacts program to print mailing labels double check the settings for the type of label used Contacts seems to revert to other labels than the one you choose. Example I am currently setting up labels based in Avery 8160 labels.. A previous project used Avery 5160 series labels which is what they default to on my system.

Edit: During the show I mentioned linking to some of my previous writings for About This Particular Mac that focussed on the Mac's "smart" search features. Those links seem to be broken at the moment. If they begin working I'll update this post.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's Mac-Forums Sunday Chat time again folks. 7:00 p.m. US Centl Time as usual. Hope to see you there.

Had an interruption a few minutes into the broadcast. We'll take another crack at this tomorrow (6/29/15) at the usual 7:00 pm time. Here's the link for the new video chat.

Dave and I had an interesting chat Monday night. Hope you caught at least part of it. Here are the links to items discussed during the show.

Cult of Mac has a description of additions to IOS 9 beta 2 was sent to developers earlier this week. Many of the changes are mainly cosmetic tweaks but one change affects Handoff. If you’re in an app on one iOS or OS X device and quickly want to pick up where you left off on another, double-tapping the Home button now displays Handoff as the first multitasking option.

It appears increasingly likely that the rumors of Force Touch being added to the next iPhone are true. As I mentioned Monday night this makes perfect sense to me since it is already in other, recently released, Apple gear.

Disney has decided to ban “selfie sticks” at their parks
due to the hazard of whipping around a rollercoaster track with a three-foot metal stick that could impale riders at any moment.

Rob LeFebre at Cult Of Mac suggests you can use your IOS device as a sleep timer to stop playing music etc after a specified time. There are several third-party apps that do this but Rob shows us how to do this using the Clock app already on your device.

If you have one of the Apple Mac models with a built-in infra red receiver for the Apple remote you may find that using the remote produces unexpected results if you have an Apple TV in close proximity. Pushing "Play", starts the content you wanted to play on the Apple TV but it can also start content playing in iTunes on the Mac. When that happens the content playing on the Apple TV suddenly stops but content playing on the Mac continues. You can find out which Macs have IR receivers and how to disable this function here

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's Mac-Forums Sunday Chat time again folks. Join me for the usual assortment of tips, tricks, and Apple-related news. 7:00 p.m. US Central Time as usual.

Kirk McElhearn at his Kirkville site has some interesting thoughts about the differences between iTunes Match and iCloud Music. One difference appears to be how DRM is applied.

Both match your iTunes library and store your purchases. Both allow you to access these files, and listen to them, on multiple devices. But with iTunes Match, when you download a matched or uploaded file, you get either the iTunes Store matched copy, or the copy that iTunes uploaded of your original file.

When you match and download files from iCloud Music Library (without having an iTunes Match subscription), however, you get files with DRM; the same kind of files you get when you download files from Apple Music for offline listening. (These files should have DRM, so you can’t just download and keep all the music you want for $10 a month.) But if you’re using Apple Music, and not iTunes Match, Apple doesn’t make a distinction between which files were originally yours, and which you downloaded for offline listening from Apple Music.

Russell Brandom at the Verge discusses implications of Chicago applying local taxes to streaming services such as Netflix and online databases The tax would add approximately 9% to the cost of streaming and other online database services. The summary includes a list of reasons why these laws may be challenged.

Writing at Cult of Mac Rob LeFebvre points out that some users of Apple's iCloud Music Library have had issues with their existing library information being altered. One possible fix involves replacing the new .itl file with one from a from previous iTunes library.

In addition to Rob's comments about the new music service the Cult of Mac site has a wealth of good information about the new service.

In a leftover from last week's chat Rob LeFebvre has some thoughts on improving the quality of focus and exposure of iPhone videos. Part of the problem seems to be that the Default settings are more geared for still photography than for video photography. Rob shows us a fix that will improve some videos.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The weekly Mac-Forums video chat happens at the usual time tonight. Look for the usual assortment of OS X and IOS tips and whatever else Mac-related that comes to mind.

Looks like I'm having issues with the Google chat plugin. We'll have to give this another shot tomorrow (7/13/15) at the usual 7:00 p.m. time.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac-Forums Sunday Video Chat is back after a brief hiatus for technical issues. Look for the usual assortment of tips, tricks, and Mac related info.

Looks like we'll have to push this show to tomorrow (Monday) at 7:00 p.m. I'll get this one in this week if I have to broadcast with tin cans and string.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac-Forums Sunday Video Chat is back. 7:00 p.m. Central Time tonight as usual. Look for the usual assortment of tips, tricks, and Mac related info.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's that time again folks. Join me for the usual assortment of forum news, and Mac news roundup. I'll pass along an OS X and IOS tips and tricks. Mac-Forums Sunday Chat

Show Notes

Members 280,340 Active Members 4,696 Welcome to our newest member, jasondunweg

Apple released an iTunes update (12.2.2) IOS 8.4.1 and Yosemite 10.10.5

Apple may be initiating a recall of some third-generation Apple TVs. This doesn't appear to be a generalized recall and they (Apple) are contacting owners of the affected devices.
The original source for this is a post from Mitch Broussard at MacRumors

MacRumors has a good overview of the changes coming in El Capitan If you missed the keynote at WWDC this is a good overview of the new features and nice touches. It also gives an overview of when the various developer releases hit

Rumors of an Apple car have resurfaceed. This time the rumor suggests Apple is trying to secure time at a testing facility Apple’s car project speculation first starting surfacing at the beginning of this year, with an announcement not expected until 2020 at the earliest, but the Guardian reports that Apple is already trying to secure a super-secret Bay Area test facility for the electric car.

Apple engineers met with officials from GoMentum Station in May, reports the Guardian, claiming Apple plans to turn the 2,100-acre former naval base in near San Francisco into a high-security testing ground for autonomous vehicles.

iOS 9 Low Power Mode

I had a reason to test this earlier this week. Although you can toggle features individually, folks who don't want to spend a lot of energy micro managing battery consumption in a tight spot should br able to do reasonably well by letting the phone enter low power mode when needed. It seems to do pretty well on its own. I was impressed and hopefully the function will behave as nicely in the final release.

Apple Adds Restore Files, Contacts, Calendars and Reminders Feature to iCloud I discovered this new feature earlier this week. If you want more info check out Kirk's summary.

During the show I was handed a note telling me that some of our Windows using friends have been told that they need a new machine because a virus has ruined their months-old, machine. If you are ever told that about a machine seek as much information as you can before making a decision. There's nothing wrong with seeking a second opinion.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might want to toss in the new Forum look and feel - just to get opinions. Don't know if I'll be back early enough to tune in but it should be interesting. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah thought I might mention that and liven things up a bit.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Sunday Video Chat is here again folks. 7:00 p.m. Central Time as usual. Look for links to more Yosemite tips, iPhone 6+ cameras need repair on a small number of phones, MacWorld compares Windows X and Yosemite, record your IOS device screen and more. Check out the fun.

Members 280,496 Active Members 4,256
Welcome to our newest member, chrisxx

Cheatsheet app shows kid shortcuts
Thanks to member RazorEdge and member OS/4 in this thread

Comparison of Windows X versus Yosemite - MacWorld compares the two OS versions. Although they still prefer OS X they have noticed areas where Windows 10 is an improvement over its predecessors.

One Windows X feature they prefer over OS X is the Windows store concept because Windows 10 unifies the Windows Store concept across all devices. Desktop and mobile versions of Windows 10 share APIs making it easy for developers to create a single app that’ll work on tablets and desktop computers. For users this means simplicity and perhaps the ability to buy an app once and use it everywhere.

MacWorld argues that with search that Microsoft has arguably leapfrogged OS X Yosemite because Windows 10 brings Cortana to the desktop.

MacWorld has Power User tips for Yosemite.

Notes included the ability to add hyperlinks.

1. Select some text
  2. Edit meny>Add link ((Command K)
  3. Paste link into the box.

Use your Mac to record screen output of your IOS device
Previously possible using AirPlay mirroring and third-party software

1. Attach IOS device to computer via the cable - There is no indication that this works wirelessly although this would be nice.
  2. Open QuickTime Player select new recording. Quicktime will default to the iSight camera in that case click the down arrow next to the record button. You should be able to select your IOS device.

If you are used to the Google tips for confining searches to a specific site as discussed in a previous show theres another way to do the same thing

1. Type the site name into Safari’s url bar followed by a space and then what you are searching for
  2. On some sites you will need to visit the site at least once before this tip will work common sites may work without visiting the site first

Comparison of El Capitan vs. Windows 10

Thanks to Lisa and Charlie for letting us know about an Aoole program to replace iSight cameras on a small number of iPhone 6 Plus devices. The problem causes some of your photos to look blurry Details and serial number check to see if you have an affected device. You can find the serial number of your IOS device by going to Settings>General>About and scroll down to Serial Number

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight for the [/FONT]Mac-Forums weekly video chat.[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] There's a typo in the title. Although it says 8/31/15 the meet takes place on 8/30/15.We'll have the usual forum roundup, a bit of Mac news, and the usual assortment of Tips and Tricks. Final rundown isn't set yet but I know there'll be a few iTunes tips.[/FONT]

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join us tonight for the Mac-Forums Sunday Video chat. We'l have the usual forum roundup and assortment of tips and tricks. We'll also include a summary of the recent Apple media event.

Show Notes

Members 280,924 Active Members 3,260 Welcome to our newest member, jskinn79

Member dTravis7 brought a new piece of malware to our attention. Our friends at Genio have apparently crafted a new piece of Malware that accesses a users keychain without permission. The entire operation takes literally a few seconds. The original ArsTechnica article describes the problem this way “Genieo acquires this access by very briefly displaying a message asking for permission to open the Safari extensions and then automatically clicking the accompanying OK button before a user has time to respond

Certain types of photo file transfer alter the date information resetting it to when the photo was copied to the Mac. Often the EXIF data is intact including the date a photo was taken. The thread lists several apps that and can read / reset EXIF data including iPhoto.

Some users are reporting difficulty with Apple Support Pages not displaying properly Member pm-r reports that one possible fix is to adjust the font size in Safari’s preferences. I haven’t experienced this problem perhaps because I’m using a stylesheet with a custom zoom factor.

There is a way to bring back the release date field in iTunes 12 and its handling of audiobooks.

Kirk also discusses the different media views available in iTunes 12. You may find this article helpful if you are trying to figure out the most efficient way to organize / view your content.

The devices announced at the September 9, 2015 media event require Mac: OS X v10.7.5 or later, Windows 7 or later and iTunes 12.3 or later

iPhone 6S available 9/25/15 in 16, 64, and 128 GB variations. This seems to be continuing a trend for recent IOS devices where the “lowest model contains 16 GB of storage instead of 8 GB but there is no 32 GB model. There are two different screen sizes 4.7” and 5.5” retina display. The larger one has 1920 x 1080 resolution. 64 bit A9 chip with motion coprocessor. 12 megapixel camera. 6S+ Optical image stabilization. FaceTime HD camera, Wi‑Fi with MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC. Talk Time on 6S + is up to 24 hours

iPad Pro Silver Gold Space Gray Available November 32 GB Wi-fi $799, 128 GB $949, Wi-Fi + Cellular $1079 Dual miss stereo speakers and smart connector. It boasts a 12.9” retina display with anti-reflective coating. 64 bit A9x with M9 coprocessor. Camera Improvements: 8 MP camera,1080p video camera (30 fps / slo mo 120 fps). FaceTime camera 720p Other: 10 hours battery life, predictive text input AirPlay Mirroring, photos, audio, and video out to Apple TV (2nd generation or later) Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter sold separately). For me personally this might be the most useful feature.

Apple TV Includes Siri voice support for control and searching. More details / comments next week as I have time to look at the specs and available information.

Look for a short review / discussion of my experiences using the iPad as a remote control for the home entertainment center. That should come in about two weeks and include both a general discussion and review of the Blumoo device.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me for the Mac-Forums Sunday Chat this week. 7:00 p.m. Central Time as usual. As usual look for the forum roundup, some IOS 9 - related information, perhaps a tip / trick or two and whatever else comes to mind.

Show Notes

Welcome to our newest member, Music4ibc

When you update to IOS 9 you may be told that a backup has never been done. This seems to mean than no backup has been done since IOS 9 was installed on the device.

Danger Will Robinson Member yves.hertoghs is experiencing issues where his Mac will not boot after after attempting to replace a USB-related kext. This was done in an effort to update a program. The idea may have been based upon information from the web. These types of changes should only be done as a last resort (especially those provided by Apple /affecting basic functions) and with some understanding of an escape procedure in case things do not go well.

If your IOS update is stuck on slide to upgrade heres a possible fix from 9 to 5 Mac

"if your device is protected with Find My iPhone, you are in more trouble and should likely seek official Apple Support. However, before the first step, try logging in to iCloud.com and removing your device from the Find my iPhone portal.

Connect your iPhone or iPad to a computer. Open iTunes.

1. Choose your device in the iTunes window. You may have to force restart (hold power and home button for several seconds) to reboot the iOS device. This should make it show up in iTunes as usual.
  2. Restore from a backup made before iOS 9. If you haven’t got a recent backup, make a backup now and then restore from that."
The Hacker News has several suggestions for settings you may want to change / check in IOS 9 to better protect your information. They are not suggesting IOS 9 is insecure merely that these are settings that need to be checked to give yourself the best options. It includes information ion enabling the 6 digit passcode option. Go to Settings>Touch ID and Passcode. It will walk you through the process.

With advent of IOS 9 ad blocking software has become a hot trend in the iTunes App Store. Three of the five top paid apps were ad blockers. One developer has pulled their app after spending 36 hours in the top spot “. After Peace spent 36 hours in the top slot, Arment decided to pull his app today.
“I’ve learned over the last few crazy days that I don’t feel good making one and being the arbiter of what’s blocked,”” Arment is offering a refund to anyone who downloaded Peace.

Kirk has some thoughts about the general issue of ad blocking / trackers. Although there is a need for ads some of these have become very intrusive— http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-use-content-blockers-ad-blockers-in-ios-9/?utm_source=Kirkville+weekly+newsletter&utm_campaign=42463003be-Kirkville_Weekly_Newsletter1_9_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3bb8b3b0bc-42463003be-298436589

Kirk McLaren’s Ask The iTunes Guy column in MacWorld mentions an issue which some iPhone users are having where their music will start playing at normal volume then drops to half volume. Skipping to the beginning of the song causes the volume to return to normal. The problem may then recur if you skip forward. It seems that this may be the result of the running of the Facebook app at the same time. If you are experiencing this issue, try shutting down Facebook temporarily to see if that solves the problem.

On the Kirksville website Kirk looks at how long some pages on the Apple site take to load for users that have slower connections. Most web designers suggest that a page should load in under 10 seconds. On his connection the El Capitan page took 1.5 minutes to load 32 GB. Obviously, this is a potential problem for many sites that load lots of ads, auto-playing video etc.

Enabling Shuffle Play in the IOS Music app When you’re in the Music app, pull down on the display the see a Shuffle All control appear from the top of the window. Tap that, and you can start shuffling.

Cult of Mac has several IOS 9 tips:

Tell Siri to remind you about what you’re looking at
If there’s something on your screen you’d like to be reminded about, like a website, doctor’s appointment or email, you can now ask Siri to “remind me about this” and she’ll automatically create a reminder by scanning the page for all the info.

When searching for restaurants and other vendors in Apple Maps, there’s now an indicator that shows whether they accept Apple Pay.

If your Wi-Fi network is super-slow, you can have your iPhone automatically switch to faster LTE speeds by going to Settings >> Cellular >> Wi-Fi Assist.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me tonight for the September 27, Mac-Forums Sunday Chat. 7 PM central time as usual. We'll have the usual forum roundup, Mac news, and probably a tip or two for good measure.

Members 281,193 Newest is archon212

The forum is still having some issues after recovering from a DDOS attack. The biggest problem at this point seems to be duplicate posts. Hang with us while we clear things up.

Be careful of the amount of cell data being used if you are using Wi-Fi assist

Kirk McLaren has more to say about the concept of ad blocking. Although one user that he read as compared and blocking to robbing an Apple Store, points out that most of us go to great lengths to avoid advertisements. How many of us, for example, ignore television commercials, turn down the volume, install ad blockers and tracker blockers in our web browsers etc. There are number of other instances that he gives for ways in which we go to avoid advertising and if you want an example of why this needs to be done because his numbers for the webpage she references in the article. The load time and amount of data loaded is cut in half with the ad blockers he has installed.

Apple’s App Store has seen a number of compromised apps being introduced, infected with the XcodeGhost malware. This was caused by developers, mostly in China, installing tweaked versions of Xcode, the app used to develop apps for iOS and OS X.Use Apple’s suggestion for how to check your copy of Xcode. The essential thing to keep in mind here is that if you have Gatekeeper installed it will perform the check for you. I

Apple has filed a patent for a slimmer version of the headphone jack. The patent filing, shows a jacket that looks almost like a D. Headphones made with this chat work in existing devices that rely on the 3.5 mm jack that devices made with the dimension Jack would not likely except standard 3.5 mm connectors without an adapter. This format would make the headphone jack slightly thinner and it is read to some speculation that Apple will begin using that on devices. It is also entirely possible that Apple file this patent simply to prevent other manufacturers from using this design. There is also been some speculation that this will eventually need to use of the lightning connector as the means of connecting things like headphones.

Rob Lefebvre at Cult of Mac has some tips for setting up new iPhone

Add four fingers to Touch ID – Sure, you can add all of your fingers on one hand, but why? Do you really need to unlock your iPhone with your pinky? Probably not. When you set up your new device, just add the four fingerprints you’ll use the most: both thumbs and both index fingers. Tap into Settings, then Touch ID & Passcode (you’ll get a prompt to enter your numerical passcode) and then add your four fingerprints in the second section. You can even name them accordingly, with right thumb, right index, etc. Be sure to toggle iPhone Unlock, Apple Pay, and App and iTunes Stores to ON here so you can use Touch ID for everything possible. You’ll never want to type in a passcode again.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.