Mac Forums Sunday Chat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mac-Forums Sunday Chat 3/1/15

Join us at 7:00 p.m. Central Time as usual. We'll have an assortment of tips and info as usual as well as whatever else comes to mind.

Mac-Forums Sunday Chat 3/1/15

Minor hassle. The chat will happen tonight. We'll start at 7:15 p.m. Central time.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Forums weekly chat - tips 3/1/15

Sunday Chat tip summary 3/1/15

Use Siri to find out what song is playing
If you suddenly hear a song that you must but don't know the title, Siri can help you. Simply say to it 'what song it this' and Siri will search its data banks and return with the results. Then you can click on the iTunes store link and the track will be purchased and added to your library.

Identified songs
Every song you ask Siri to identify for you is listed inside iTunes. To read the list of songs Siri identifies for you launch iTunes, tap the three line graphic in the top right (under the power meter) and select Siri in the menu for the next screen. Now you’ll see every song Siri has identified for you.

Create a playlist to update iTunes Match
You can create Smart Playlists to find all the music in your library that can be upgraded with iTunes Match.

Use Multiple AirPlay devices to play music all over the home
If you have multiple AirPlay devices you can play music through all devices at once. Click AirPlay and Multiple and tick all the devices you want to use.

Shared Reminders
If you and your partner/family/colleagues all use Reminders then take a look at shared lists as one way to get things done more efficiently. Once you share a list with a group of people anyone in the group can mark completed items, edit the list etc.

Notifications
Siri will read your incoming notifications for you as they come in, tell you who is calling, read you new texts or let you know if an important email is received. Useful in private, you access this in Settings>General>Accessiblity>Voice Over (but don’t toggle Voice Over to on) and then toggle “Always Speak Notifications” to on. Be sure to turn it off when in public.

If you are still on IOS 7 you might find these tips useful

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time for the weekly Mac-Forums chat. 7:00 p.m. Central Time as usual.
Look for an assortment of Mac and IOS tips as well as whatever other Mac-related information that comes to mind. Mac-Forums Sunday Chat 3/8/15

Apple's "Spring Forward” event is set for March 9, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. The event is expected to focus on the Apple Watch. Details are expected about battery life, pricing, and a launch date. Rumor also suggest a revamp / update of the MacBook Air line. Apple plans to provide live coverage of the event on its website and through a channel on the Apple TV,

Microsoft introduced a preview of the next generation of Microsoft Office for Mac. Office 2016 for Mac is the first major Mac release since Office 2011.and brings new versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint with redesigned Retina-optimized interfaces, new features, and a heavy focus on collaboration and cloud integration. The preview is free to all Mac users running OS X Yosemite. Office 2016 is the next

Apple has released a Public Beta of 10.10.3. This beta also included a beta of the new Photos application.

Tips

Mac OS X allows you to quickly summarize long pieces of text in just a few seconds. First select some text. Right click the selected text, scroll down to Services snd choose “Summarize”.

To enable the summary feature, click on the app name in the status bar > Services > Services Preferences. Scroll down and check “Summarize”. If you don’t see this service go to System Preferences>Keyboards Shortcut>Services Summarize Make sure that is ticked. Also if you are using some third party summarize functions such as DevonThink make sure you select the right one.

If you have not installed Yosemite yet. Pay attention during the install. There is some question whether FileVault 2 is on by default in Yosemite. This has not been true in the past. One thing to be aware of is that when decrypting the FileVault file there can be some problems if you don’t have sufficient drive space to expand the archive.

Hide notifications about pending updates if you don’t wish to see them. Open the App Store as usual in OS X, then visit the “Updates” tab. Right-click (or control+click) on the large OS X Yosemite banner and choose “Hide Update”. This should work for other apps installed through the App Store as well.

You can adjust your Mac's sound volume in 1/4 increments by pressing Option+Shift and one of the volume keys simultaneously. The Option+Shift key combination can also be used with the Brightness and Contrast keys for finer display adjustments.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hey Sly, why don't you setup the announcement for the Sunday Chat as a Sticky thread. We have Sunday Chat announcement threads being repeated every Sunday. With one Sticky thread, all you'll need to do is to post to the thread rather than place a new thread each Sunday evening. That will also make it easier for you to clean out old announcements. What do you think?
Ah, what's a "sticky thread" ? Just goes to show there's always something new to learn.
My father used to say, "The more I know, the more I know I don't know." Truly said dad.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I might jump in one of these Sunday evenings. Usually though by the time the chat time rolls around, my voice is recovering from the day's activities. ;D

I have a bit of a time zone issue or would join in myself. Central Indonesian Time (UTC +8):Sleeping:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning Sly, 0855 here!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what you mean. That's a heck of a time difference. I have Spring break coming up in a couple of weeks. My insomnia usually kicks in during that time so maybe we can work something out time wise.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Forums Sunday Chat time again folks. 7:00 p.m. Central time US as usual.

Look for a few OS X and IOS tips as usual. There'll probably also be a comment or two about the recent Apple announcements.

Edit: Having to take care of a few other things first. Show notes/links will be up by tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Mac-Forums Sunday Chat time again folks. 7:00 p.m. Central time US as usual.

Look for a few OS X and IOS tips as usual. There'll probably also be a comment or two about the recent Apple announcements.

Edit: Having to take care of a few other things first. Show notes/links will be up by tomorrow evening.

Hey Sly... - Susan & I are on a short vacation to the south FL area (Ft. Lauderdale) - arrived Saturday, so will miss you on the Sunday chat (already have as I'm typing this on an iPad in the hotel room) - amazing, Saturday morning was 45 degrees F in Winston-Salem, arrived in FL w/ low 80s temp & sunny - WOW! Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry guys but I have to beg out of the chat this week 3/22/15. I have a terrible cold and almost no voice today. We'll be back on schedule next week.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The weekly chat is back on track this week. 7:00 p.m. Central Time as usual. Mac-Forums Sunday Chat 3/29/15

Look for the usual assortment of tips and tricks, forum roundups, and whatever else comes to mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The weekly chat is back on track this week. 7:00 p.m. Central Time as usual. Mac-Forums Sunday Chat 3/29/15

Look for the usual assortment of tips and tricks, forum roundups, and whatever else comes to mind.

Sly... - Susan & I were out for the early evening but on my return, tried to follow the link to the chat session - got to the scene below but lasted just a few minutes w/o much at all - did you have a problem? If not, is there a link that I can listen to your comments for the night? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 9.56.46 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah. It was a night for tech issues. My MacBook Pro was kinda tied up with something and I couldn't get the iPad version to link up at all.

I am planning to run the chat tomorrow night at the usual time. I'll post a link here tomorrow morning. I should be back full steam by then,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK guys. The chat never got off the ground yesterday. We're going to try again tonight, Here's the Mac-Forums Chat Link

If you are experiencing slowdowns on your Mac check out these links for useful tips. Thanks Nick
Beachballs Speedup your Mac Thanks Nick More causes of slowdowns Thanks Rod Sprague

Need to create a PDF with no page breaks? Great for driving directions, itineraries, and other things you are going to read digitally.

If the desktop pattern behind your login screen is blurry that's normal under Yosemite. Which background you see depends upon which user account was last used to log into the Mac. Thanks to Member Cradom for that information.

Mac Stuck in FileVault encryption? Thanks to Rod Sprague for this link

iPhone 7 release date and related rumors

Thanks to RadDave for joining us tonight as well.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hope our regular listeners / viewers are enjoying the Easter holiday. We'll be back on schedule next week.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Again for the Mac-Forums weekly chat. You can watch from the link above. If you'd like to join the chat let me know by posting a comment when you get there I'll send you the link to join.

Minor delay mid chat. Restarting from scratch. April 12,2015 Chat reboot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Again for the Mac-Forums weekly chat. You can watch from the link above. If you'd like to join the chat let me know by posting a comment when you get there I'll send you the link to join.

Minor delay mid chat. Restarting from scratch. April 12,2015 Chat reboot.

Hey Sly.... - sorry to have missed the chat, but the last round of the Master's golf tournament took place and I recorded 4+ hrs. on my DVR, so that's how I spent my evening after dinner - won by a 21 y/o, Jordan Spieth - his pay check was $1,800,000!

Next weekend, we'll be on a short vacation to Hilton Head Island on the SC coast near Savannah, so will not be around - hope that all went well. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Forums Sunday chat is here again folks. 7:00 p.m. as usual. Look for a forum roundup, tips and tricks, and whatever else comes to mind.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's time for the Mac-Forums Sunday chat again folks. 7:00 p.m. tonight as usual. Hope to see you there.

Links for items discussed in tonights chat will be going up either later tonight or by this time tomorrow.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac-Forums Sunday chat is here again folks. Look for the usual assortment of tips, tricks, forum news and commentary. Hope to see you there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.