Mac Forums Sunday Chat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sunday Chat 12/28/14

It's Sunday chat time again. 7:00 p.m. as usual. Topics are up for grabs at the moment but as usual we'll include a tip or two.

Sunday Video Chat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Sly..... - Susan & I are going out to dinner this evening, so I'll not be available for the chat, sorry. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Dave fess up. You're getting an early start on New Years Eve festivities right?

Seriously, enjoy the evening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Sly... - just Susan & I for the New Year's celebration - planning on a 'snack' dinner on the Eve (cheeses, smoked salmon & trout, and caviar w/ a bottle of the bubbly), and then wife is roasting a pheasant the next day, and I have another bottle of sparkling wine already chilled! :)

Hope all went well w/ the chat - Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Weekly Mac-Forums Video Chat

It's that time again folks. The weekly Mac-Forums video chat is here. 7:00 p.m Central Time tonight

Look for a roundup of forum related news, Mac tips, and whatever else comes to mind.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Forums Sunday video chat 2/8/15

The Mac-Forums Sunday chat is back this week. 7:00 p.m. tonight as usual.

We'll have a few OS X tips, an IOS tip or two, and the usual roundup of forum content. Haven't decided on the specific tips but they'll be ready by chat time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chat summary, including links, will be posted sometime tomorrow evening (about 6 p.m). I'll post the info here and on the Youtube page.

A bit later than anticipated but here are the links to the content from last night's chat.

You can keep Spotlight active so that it doesn’t get hidden by the window you are working in. Click on the magnifying glass to make Spotlight appear. With the Spotlight window visible do a long long-right-click on the magnifying glass in the menubar. The blue box around it will stay and so will the window. Keep Spotlight active

If you are making OS of your Mac to answer Phone calls you can change the ringtone in Face Time preferences. Change your Mac's ringtone
IOS Tips

IOS 8 has changed the way autocorrections for typing errors are presented. If you want to go back to the old way of autocorrect, simply swipe down on the new gray bar to hide it. Returning to the “new” look just swipe back up. Bring back the "old" look of autocorrect on IOS devices.

Apple has lifted the 1,000-photo limit in iCloud. Everything you snap / save will automatically sync and appear on all your devices. Just head over to Settings > Photos & Camera and toggle on My Photo Stream. Photo Stream Changes

Under iOS 8 you can delete parts of your browsing history by going to the history menu and tapping Clear at the bottom-right. Ypu’ll see options to get rid of everything from the past hour or day. You can even delete a single item by swiping over it.

You can start certain IOS apps from the lock screen. With location services active you can open an apps from the lock screen when you walk into say and Apple store or Starbucks. As with the camera icon, just slide up and you’re in business.

Apple hasn’t stopped improving the iPhone camera hardware and software. Among the recent changes in iOS 8 is a feature giving photographers new exposure controls. Tap the screen the way you normally would to focus, and a new slider will pop up that lets you fine-tune the exposure.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sunday Chat 2/22/15

It's Sunday Chat time again folks. Check out this weeks chat. Can't say which tips I'll cover this week yet. Still searching but we'll try to make things interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Sly - tonight are the Oscars beginning for me on the east coast the same time as your show - :( Except for The American Sniper, I've seen all of the nominated films for 'Best Picture', a rarity (but I guess an advantage of being retired).

SO, I have a vested interest in watching the show which I use to avoid if I'd not really seen many of the movies - I'm a BIG film fan going back to my days as a young boy - own about 700 commercial optical discs (half are Blu-rays), and have 'burned' a similar number of DVD-Rs off the TCM network over the years (public domain is great, as is having a DVR!).

Hope all goes well tonight for you - Dave :)

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've become a film fan in recent years though I often wait till films have been out for a while before seeing them. I rarely actually watch the various awards shows though I sometimes check things out the next day to see who picked up one of the major awards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Sly, why don't you setup the announcement for the Sunday Chat as a Sticky thread. We have Sunday Chat announcement threads being repeated every Sunday. With one Sticky thread, all you'll need to do is to post to the thread rather than place a new thread each Sunday evening. That will also make it easier for you to clean out old announcements. What do you think?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had intended to do something like that for the last week or two and hadn't gotten around to it. My intention was to put all of the show tips in one thread along with any other relevant information.

Hadn't thought of using one recurring announcement for the chats though. That's a good idea.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you're on top of it. Go for it, and thanks for devoting your valuable time to help the folks and chat with them. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. I'm enjoying doing them. Especially when we have someone like Dave, Jake, or Cradom on as well. A student that I know here has even started asking when Van will be back.

What kind of arm twisting do I need to do to get you on one of these days?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might jump in one of these Sunday evenings. Usually though by the time the chat time rolls around, my voice is recovering from the day's activities. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Looks like I joined too late. Maybe next week.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. Sometimes when it's just me things are a bit shorter. Don't think anyone wants to hear me bloviate for too long.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the list of tips from tonights show. Hope to clean up the thread sometime this week and create a sticky I'll also move the recent tips into one thread as soon as I work out the best organization.

Managing the 25000 track iTunes Match limit This article describes a work around for the 25000 track limit for iTunes Match

Fixing some annoyances of iTunes 12 All iTunes tips below are part of this article

You can bring the sidebar back, sort of, but it’s not called that any more, and it doesn’t give you access to the same content as it did in the past. When viewing any of your media libraries—accessible by clicking the icons at the top-left of the window—just click Playlists in the navigation bar at the top-center of the iTunes window.

If you prefer the older window, a la iTunes 11, for entering tag information you can use it. Just select one or more files, press the Option key, right-click on the selected file(s), and choose Get Info. You’ll see a window almost exactly like that of iTunes 11 and earlier. You must use the right-click contextual menu to get this option.

Mini Player Window iTunes 12 changed the way this window is displayed, and it can be a bit confusing. Three different ways ti display that miniplayer now.

Music Videos
Fortunately, music videos are still in your Music library, and you can get to them easily. While in your Music library, click Playlists in the navigation bar; you’ll see an entry for Music Videos near the top of the sidebar.

On IOS devices when using apps that permit text entry you can use voice dictation to enter text. Do this by bringing up the IOS keyboard, tapping the mic icon, then speaking your information.

If you are in Messages this works as well. Tapping the mic icon at the right side of a message window allows you to record an audio message that gets sent with your message.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Forums Sunday Chat

From now on we will be consolidating information about the Mac-Forums Sunday chats to posts in this thread. This is the place to come for anything and everything chat related including the link to each weeks show, past tips, and any comments/suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.