Mac Forums Sunday Chat

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are there going to be any more shows? Have not been in 2 weeks and was curious.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. There'll be more shows. Planning one for tomorrow unless things go nuts.

I was having a few connectivity issues last week. Thought I had posted a message. Van and RadDave were both tied up last weekend. Translation: They have a life outside the computer room I don't.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yes. There'll be more shows. Planning one for tomorrow unless things go nuts.

I was having a few connectivity issues last week. Thought I had posted a message. Van and RadDave were both tied up last weekend. Translation: They have a life outside the computer room I don't.

Hopefully the weather will be cooperative . . . supposed to have major fireworks in our area.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How right you are. Thought about that after making the post.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
How right you are. Thought about that after making the post.

NOAA issued an alert; they got my attention when they mentioned hail in excess of 2 inch diameter. :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That definitely qualifies as an attention getter. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry don't get it ~ just a Hangouts page?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should be working now Harry. Got rid of the first link which led to the Hangouts page. The remaining link should work.

I find the process of identifying the correct link to post is a PITA. Van seems to find the correct one every time. me, not so much.

C

chas_m

Would like to participate, but never will use a Google+ Hangout. Is there any other option? And when are these chats exactly?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van came up with the Google Hangouts option in part because of the number of people that can connect at tone time. I forget the exact number but it is higher than with FaceTime. With the current setup watching the chat does not require Google+ Hangout but participating does.

I'm certainly open for suggestions for alternatives.

The chats are currently set for 7:00 p.m. Central Time. If I did the tine check correctly you are in the Pacific Time Zone which places the start of the show at 5:00 p.m. Sunday your time.

C

chas_m

If its a "chat" (typing) then one alternative could be AIM (yes, I know, ancient) and a chat room.

If its audio, they why not Skype?

But hey, if Google+ is working out well then have at it. But be aware that you may have to be thinking about alternatives in the not-too-distant future ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How many folks can participate at once using Face Time? I've used Face Time before and with the newer HD cameras on most Macs the video is great. It's also pretty good iPhone to iPhone. I did a Face Time with my Grand Daughter in Georgia the other day iPhone to iPhone and other than the smaller screen, the reception was really good.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We've been using the video option just to perhaps make things a bit more "natural". It's kinda nice to be able to see the face of the person you are interacting with.

If I'm doing audio/video with other Mac users generally have used iChat /FaceTime. Don't think it's quite as easy to take those public though.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iChat used to support 4 video connections at once IIRC. I wasn't sure about the limit in FaceTime so I did a little investigating. I may be wrong but it looks like FaceTime is limited to one-on-one connections. Sending video through iMessage limits you to a few minutes at best.

C

chas_m

Yes, FaceTime's quality is really good most of the time. Far better than Skype, in my experience, but FaceTime is 1-to-1 only.

AIM accounts on Messages, however, can still do up to four-way video calling, just as iChat used to do.

I thought I had read somewhere that non-Google people could join a Google Hangout video chat, but the initiator of the conference must be a Google+ member. I have a Google account but again would rather avoid using it. Ah well, I wasn't available for this Sunday anyway ...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless I am misunderstanding something a conversation with one Google+ member and one non-menber is limited to a one-on-one connection. Not sure if it can be taken public for others to watch.

If a Google+ user starts a Hangouts video call with someone who does not have Google+, or vice versa, both participants will see the 1:1 video call experience.
Link

I haven't used Skype in quite a while. Can Skype calls be taken public a' la Hangouts so that others can see it even if they are not directly participating?

C

chas_m

No, I don't think Skype calls have a public function. Pity about the Google+ limitation too, but ISTR (in fact now that I think about it I remember it well) that some person I know was doing a Google+ chat and it was streaming on YouTube publicly. We could watch and comment on YouTube, but not "participate."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If we want many to be able to participate Google hangouts is the best option. Others are more limited.

I hope they are wrong on the 2" hail in your area. That sounds dangerous!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope they are wrong on the 2" hail in your area. That sounds dangerous!

Definitely won't be out in that if it makes it this far. I got hit with some dime and maybe quarter-sized hail while in grad school in Texas. Not an experience i want to repeat soon.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.