Time Machine missing data files, install DVD not complete function

Reaction score
Installed new HD with Snow Leopard 5 family pack DVD.
The iPhoto never appeared on fresh install.
Found iPhoto in several backup dates of Time Machine .
Each time I did a selective restore of just the iPhoto application ,
the iPhoto program came over ( approx 400 MB , I believe??) .

However, iPhoto would not open , just error message says cannot open .

So, here are 2 instances of issues: iPhoto did not get installed from disc and iPhoto
could not come over correctly from Time Machine.

More importantly: I did a reformat of old HD back in 4/18/2014 because iPhoto was not opening. The install went well . I brought over the Time Machine via Migration Assistant of the Time Machine backup from earlier that date . All perfect.
All data files were there and iPhoto worked. Great news.

Now, when I did Migration Assistant on the new HD , neither iPhoto correctly came over nor did 99% of data files.

I can see the back up date of 4/18/2014 , yet the files which once came over are no longer on Time Machine.

There are 7 backup dates on Time machine.
None have the data files! None have working version of iPhoto.

What 's going on.
Time Machine worked for my 4/18/2014 reinstall , now nothing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Genius Bar did erase and reinstall of OSX and added iPhoto which was not included in Snow Leopard.

Then , Genius Bar did exactly what we did ; Migration Assistant.

This time all data files came over. Why ?

Happy that all works , but do not know why Migration Assistant did not work completely.

Also, learned that the reinstall of Snow Leopard followed by my attempt at Migration Assistant Time machine did not bring over the Mail settings / files. The contact files were missing, the ability to get new email did not work. Why?

Ending this post as Genius Bar resolved all issues.
My take away: try the entire reformat,install, Migration Assistant again.

Still can't understand why iPhoto could not open after being brought over from Time Machine. It was working just before I did reinstall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.