Please please help! Connecting to Windows 2003 share

M

MacNewbie1

Hello, before I begin, I just want to say that YES I have searched all the forums related to this question.
Here goes.

I have a windows 2003 server that is a member server it is NOT a domain controller. The server is in a domain we will call abc.com. This windows 2003 server does NOT have NetBIOS over TCP/IP installed. It does NOT have file services for Macintosh installed. I have created a shared directory called "test" on this Windows 2003 member server.

I have a OSX 10.3.9 machine that I am trying to connect to the Windows share above. I can ping the server from the OSX machine. The windows server and the OSX machine are on the same subnet. I can connect to the share using the smbclient from the Terminal application on the Mac.

I cannot connect to the Windows share using the "connect to server" menu item on the MAC.
I have tried the following syntax's.

smb://domain;username@hostname/sharename
smb://servername/sharename
smb://ipaddress/sharename
smb://azillonothercombinationshere

Each of the above fails with a "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct" error.
I am never prompted for the username or password.

I find this strange since I can sucessfully use the smbclient command in a terminal window on the Mac.

So, how do I connect to this windows share using the user interface in the MAC? How do I pass my username and password to the windows server using the user interface(apple symbol + K)?

I have installed the MS UAM
I have disabled all encryption requirements for server authentication on the Windows 2003 server.

Please please please help! I have tried everything, and I mean everything I can think of to get this to work.
Thank you everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Did you try smb://ipaddress?

This will prompt you to choose a share and enter the credentials.

Edit: No "?"

OP
M

MacNewbie1

Yes, I have tried smb://ipaddress
No joy.
I do not get prompted.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was in a similar situation using 10.3.9. I think the smbclient actually supports NTLMv2 yet the GUI doesn't.

I had no success in my W2K3 environment until I disable SMB signing in domain group policy. MUA is useless if you ask me and pretty much every other tweak in this forum is specific to circumstances of individual networks.

You claim to have turned encryption off. I assume you are fluent in Windows so pardon me if I seem condecending.

I had confused local group policy with domain group policy before I was properly educated in that area.

Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>IP Security Policies. Uncheck all communications on all three policies. Then run gpupdate /force from the command line.

If you've done that already I'm not sure what else is the problem other than possibly binding OS X to AD.

OP
M

MacNewbie1

Thanks for the reply.
So you disabled SMB signing on BOTH the domain controller and the member server?
The W2K3 server I am trying to connect to is a member server NOT a domain controller.
Please let me know.
Thanks!

OP
M

MacNewbie1

All three of these are "not assigned". This is on both the domain controller and the member server I am trying to attach to with the Mac.
What the heck am I missing???
Someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They aren't assigned to a policy but they are still active. Double click them and uncheck the check boxes. Then refresh group policy.

Reaction score
Did you find a solution for this?

I also have a windows 2003 server that is not a domain controller and am trying to share a folder from that server to a mac server running panther. The mac server is the domain controller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.