Can't seem to open .pdf files

Reaction score
I bought a couple of beginner Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard .pdf ebooks online but OSX doesn't seem to open them. Just lists them as "lnk" files. What am I doing wrong here?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Mac should open PDF files in the Preview application. Are you sure the eBook files are PDF since you say they're shown as "lnk" files. It sounds like you didn't actually download the PDF files but only the link to them. How did you do the download?

OP
J
Reaction score
I downloaded them on my Windows machine. They open fine in that. Then copied them onto my Mac. Weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Are these files have correct extension? As in .pdf - if not, OS X might not see them as PDF files.

How exactly did you copy them? It sounds like you might have placed aliases on to your Mac HD, rather than actual files.
Just go back to Windows machine and do a copy and paste rather than dragging, should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.