can't see files on Time Capsule

Reaction score
I had stored loads of my files in my Time Capsule. but now when i access the time capsule under 'shared' folder of my Finder on mac book pro, I don't see any files. Only thing I see is the 'sparse bundle' which I guess is the back up file. Where are all my files ?

I am using latest Macbook Pro Retina Display running mavericks latest updated applied and Time capsule purchased 6 months ago.

I am worried if I have lost them ?

Someone, please help.

Thaks in anticiaption

Mohan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How exactly did you store or copy the files to your Time Capsule? Also, tell us which TC you have? I wonder if you possibly overwrote the files you placed on the TC with your Time Machine backups? Although in theory that should not have happened unless the TC was out of space and began to delete files to make space for the backups.

OP
M
Reaction score
I had created s folder outside the backups after finding the TC on my network and then pasted loads of pictures in it. Now when I go to network to see my folder I see a rotating wheel on the lower right corner in the finder screen as if Mac is searching for files or trying to build the directory. But nothing appears.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My Time Capsule does the same thing every now and then recently. To be honest it's making me a bit "twitchy". Try the following:

1. Let the Time Capsule restart.
2. Click the Time Capsule just as you normally do to open the drive. If you get the rotating wheel select some other drive (shared or not) and let the window open.
3. Now try to go back to the Time Machine drive.

@Chscag Files already on the TC should not be overwritten by Time Machine backups. The files take precedence. If the disk gets too full Time Machine warns you. In fact it starts to delete older backups rather than delete other files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The files take precedence. If the disk gets too full Time Machine warns you. In fact it starts to delete older backups rather than delete other files.

That's what I though too but wasn't sure if the TC worked the same way as a normal external drive used for backup by Time Machine. The OP never said which TC he had since I believe the new ones can accommodate external hard drives attached to it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an older one and it too accommodates a USB drive attached to it. Come to think if it my current Time Machine backup is stored on the external drive not the TC itself. I need to double check and make sure I didn't steer the OP wrong. I've had it on there before though and don't remember loosing any files.

Off to research.

Edit This clears up some of this issues with Time Machine Backups and shared space. Doesn't specify the result of the conflict though. I don't remember it deleting files.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
My Time Capsule does the same thing every now and then recently. To be honest it's making me a bit "twitchy". Try the following:

1. Let the Time Capsule restart.
2. Click the Time Capsule just as you normally do to open the drive. If you get the rotating wheel select some other drive (shared or not) and let the window open.
3. Now try to go back to the Time Machine drive.

@Chscag Files already on the TC should not be overwritten by Time Machine backups. The files take precedence. If the disk gets too full Time Machine warns you. In fact it starts to delete older backups rather than delete other files.

I did above procedure. still can't see my folders. I only see the sparse bundle of my MBP, which I guess are the back up files. I also tried to access my TC over internet using another network. Still the same. can see my folders.

Did TC delete my files. My wife will kill me if TC has deleted my pictures. How can that happen. please help.

OP
M
Reaction score
I did above procedure. still can't see my folders. I only see the sparse bundle of my MBP, which I guess are the back up files. I also tried to access my TC over internet using another network. Still the same. can see my folders.

Did TC delete my files. My wife will kill me if TC has deleted my pictures. How can that happen. please help.

Hi,
Now I have added one more trouble to my ongoing woes with TC.

I had attempted to reset the TC using the reset button at the back. This resulted in creation of another identity of the TC. and now my TM cannot access my earlier backup sparse bundle.

Please help
Thanks
Mohan Dhingra

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,
Now I have added one more trouble to my ongoing woes with TC.

I had attempted to reset the TC using the reset button at the back. This resulted in creation of another identity of the TC. and now my TM cannot access my earlier backup sparse bundle.

Please help
Thanks
Mohan Dhingra

Can you clarify this a bit. Mot sure I understand what you mean. I don't remember ever having this happen.

1. How exactly dud you restart the Time Capsule?
2. What do you mean by it created a new identity?

OP
M
Reaction score
For resetting I pressed the reset button at the back. The pin hole button

That presented me to create a new identity and I accepted it. Earlier it was called Saksham's Airport Time capsule and now it presented a a new name Mohan's Airport Time Capsule

Sending you current screen shots shortly

2014-07-21_0845.png

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.