iPhone 4S and volume button

Reaction score
I cannot get my side volume to work. When I try to bring up the volume I get the Ringer icon but it does not show me the volume bar at all. I have been going into settings to change the volume but that this a hassle. Also all of my Apps does not have sound and it seems that the phone will either ring or not when a call comes in. I have tried everything with it from cleaning out the microphone jack and changing some settings but nothing seems to work. I have IOS 7.1.2

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure I understand the question exactly. It sounds like you are trying to adjust the speaker volume but get the rigger icon instead?

If I understand you correctly try adjusting the call volume while you are on a call. What happens then?

OP
C
Reaction score
I was just online with Apple Support and they suggested I reset the phone to new to see if it is hardware or software. I have tried everything else. I personally think it is hardware and I will take it in to Apple to check. Thanks

Reaction score
I experience the same thing. Strange, however, since I have had the 4s for ~ 2 years without a problem, and IMHO most hw problems appear at the beginning. Cleared out lint and went through a full reset on iTunes. No avail.

Stranger yet - if connect the phone to the charger in the car the slider for volume appears and works. Combining the reset (sw replacement) and the car's results (hw test) one might conclude it's neither a hw nor sw problem. Back in the day we were able to blame all such strange situations on pinko commie-plots. We've even lost that recourse.

Oh well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.