MacBook Pro Trackpad Tears

Reaction score
The trackpad on my MacBook Pro went crazy last week. Like the computer was possessed, with the cursor jumping wildly all around and opening apps willy-nilly.

Some research suggested cleaning it -- or a enlarged battery problem.

I did the cleaning by opening up the machine and removing the battery and then cleaning the trackpad. After reassembling everything the cursor is now completely immobile on the device. Dead.

I've reset the PRAM and also did some other suggested resettings, all to no avail. Also tried using computer with the battery removed and still no go.

What are some other options other than genius bar? The pad looks totally fine to me, just cleaner now -- but not working.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The symptoms you describe may indicate that your battery was swollen and pressing up against the trackpad hardware from below caused damage to it. If that's the case, you need to change out the battery before it causes internal damage to your MacBook Pro. If the trackpad has been damaged from the battery it (trackpad) will have to be replaced.

OP
L
Reaction score
The symptoms you describe may indicate that your battery was swollen and pressing up against the trackpad hardware from below caused damage to it. If that's the case, you need to change out the battery before it causes internal damage to your MacBook Pro. If the trackpad has been damaged from the battery it (trackpad) will have to be replaced.

Hi Chscag

As I noted in the post -- I removed the battery and then used the computer's tackpad -- which still functioned but very erratically. So I do not believe it was a battery issue.

Thank you

LR

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you check the battery to see if it was swollen? Sometimes it's hard to detect any swelling, and sometimes it's very apparent. The damage may have already been done to the trackpad hardware causing the erratic movements. The reason I mention this is because it's so common with Mac portable computers after they get wear on the battery for a few years.

OP
L
Reaction score
Did you check the battery to see if it was swollen? Sometimes it's hard to detect any swelling, and sometimes it's very apparent. The damage may have already been done to the trackpad hardware causing the erratic movements. The reason I mention this is because it's so common with Mac portable computers after they get wear on the battery for a few years.

Yes, that could be. Have an appointment with the genius bar but I was hoping maybe there might be some other solutions before having to take the computer into town.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.