Replacing MBA screen - damaged diffuser

Reaction score
Hi all!

I posted this on another forum, but no one responded. I'm guessing it's because I'm SOL, but I'm not willing to give up until someone explicitly says that. LOL.

So I cracked the screen on my MBA (13 inch, late 2010 model). I went the DIY way, peeled the bezel off and just replaced the LCD. It went well, the screen works with no damage to the backlight. There is, however, some damage to one of the diffuser sheets. When I put the LCD back in place, there's an obvious area of brightness right in the middle of the screen.

Unfortunately, it's not one of the loose sheets that's the problem. There's a crack in the plexiglass sheet...the one that is attached perilously close to the backlight.

Is there ANY way to replace this (without replacing the entire top of the clam shell...)? It's an older machine, but it still works well for my purposes. I won't be replacing it for at least another year. But I'd rather not live with this screen defect if I don't have to.

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm guessing that it's not going to work, but I had to ask. Ifixit doesn't even really take apart the display. They show you how to take off the entire top of the clamshell and call it a display disassembly.

I've already removed the LCD, so the diffuser sheets are exposed. There's an aluminum bar down at the bottom of the display case that looks like it's holding the diffuser sheet in (and possibly covering the backlight). I've attached a couple of pictures to show what I mean.

Side note: the plexiglass sheet is actually clear, not white. There's another diffuser sheet (paper-like) behind it.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.