• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help me solve a mystery

Reaction score
Hello

Something very wierd happened this weekend.

I got an email from my mum accusing me of using drugs, so i replied and said we should talk face to face (i'm innocent honest). So i got home today and sat down and asked if she would you like to discuss it, but she said she didnt send it.

So i checked and the email was from a hotmail.co.uk address and hers is hotmail.com it has been set up to display her name and was very convincing.

So we are now both concerned and want to find out who did it.

I've googled but it all looks quite expensive.
Any suggestions....

I'm not sure i can sleep safe at night till then :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
I'm no expert, but I believe if you use a desktop based mail client like Entourage or Mail(or forward the message to an account you check in an app like that) then you should be able to look at the message source code and dig for some more details that way.

If you want to forward me the message I'll be happy to open it in Entourage and post here or mail you anything found in the source code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
If you can access the source code yourself, then paste the header part of the message here: http://www.geobytes.com/SpamLocator.htm and it will show you where the message originated. Whether it will will show you details of the sender or simply Hotmail's server location remains to be seen though!

OP
mig.gentry
Reaction score
indykid said:
If you can access the source code yourself, then paste the header part of the message here: http://www.geobytes.com/SpamLocator.htm and it will show you where the message originated. Whether it will will show you details of the sender or simply Hotmail's server location remains to be seen though!

ok so i did that and found where it came from, but any way i can find out who???

I really need to know who this...massive invasion of privacy. And if it's someone we know then i need to know about it

Reaction score
mig.gentry said:
massive invasion of privacy

How so?

It was a lame prank, don't let it get to you, remember to check the actual e-mail address in the future.

H

Harryc

mig.gentry said:
ok so i did that and found where it came from, but any way i can find out who???

I really need to know who this...massive invasion of privacy. And if it's someone we know then i need to know about it
IMHO, it's highly unlikely that someone who you did NOT know would go to this much trouble to embarass you. Did the email mention any details that might give away the senders identity. Look at the way sentences are worded, punctuation missing, names used, etc. Think about how some of your friends (so called) might speak...anything look familiar?

OP
mig.gentry
Reaction score
The email contained info which suggested someone close to my family. I have since found out that the first email was sent from the email account of my mother but with a return address of a newly created account. Now my mum is not very careful with her passowrds so this is easy to explain but it still has to be someone close to us.

I guess it's a matter of trust than privacy, but it has both my mum and I really annoyed and we would like the matter resolved.

I honestly feel this is malicious rather than a prank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I don't know, usually a name will come to you. and chances are you will be right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup. It looks that way.

its one thing to have multiple accounts.. ::cough:: Ronnie D. is it?
but to respond, and then make the post so incoherent that it draws attention to yourself.. you gota know I check that stuff.

OP
mig.gentry
Reaction score
Graphite said:
yup. It looks that way.

its one thing to have multiple accounts.. ::cough:: Ronnie D. is it?
but to respond, and then make the post so incoherent that it draws attention to yourself.. you gota know I check that stuff.

SSENAVA is my girlfriend. She accidently posted under my accuount whilst reading the page (the grrr was her attmpt to fix it), why she signed up and put another post i cannot tell you. The other two names i have honestly never seen before. Why do you think they were mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are all attached to your IP. All had one post. I didn't ban you because you have been an upstanding member. Just put it behind us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.