Looking for a wipe drive program

Reaction score
I'm looking for a standalone free or shareware program that'll allow me to wipe the HDD on a Powerbook G4. I know there's an erase feature in Disk Utility but I'm not familar with it's use. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give this a quick read. It should explain things well enough. Once you have launched Disk Utility and selected the drive to erased skip to the part on erasing drives.

BTW before you erase anything make sure you have copied any data that you want to keep. Once you erase the drive recovering files can be difficult. Especially of you choose one of the multi-pass erase options. These are more thorough but can significantly increase the time needed to erase the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you wish to erase the full drive, remember you cannot erase a drive you are booted from. This will mean either the internal drive will need to go into an external caddy and do it that way, or if you have the install disc which came with the computer, you can boot from that by holding down 'C' immediately after the chime, leave the Installer, go to Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk Utility and erase disk.

Format Mac OS X Extended if it is to have OS X instaklled at any time, go into Partition and under Option select Apple partition Map.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Harry. Forgot to mention that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.