Mac Audio Output Distortion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
I just discovered that my mac's audio output is causing distortion somehow but when I restart the computer the audio is fine and back to normal so strange! Anyone else have this problem? Here is a video clip I took of what it sounds like when I play audio through the system

View My Video

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just discovered that my mac's audio output is causing distortion somehow? Anyone else have this problem?

The post is kind of thin on details;)…so let's get some::)

- Is this with all apps…or specific apps?
- Is this at all volume levels?
- Has this been happening for a while (since you purchased it)…or a recent thing?
- Did you purchase this computer new…or used?

* Nick

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Hi Nick, I purchased this computer used and I've had it probably about 8 or 9 months now, this happens with all apps it is the main system audio so yes all apps and all volume levels. This just started happening yesterday

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This just started happening yesterday

Thanks for the info.:)

As you probably know with speakers. When the volume is too loud…or the audio quality of something is not the greatest (bad recording or recorded at a very high level)…the speakers can "blow" (crack the cone). Any possibility that this could have happened?

If you haven't been listening to anything loud…it really shouldn't be due to anything physical…which leaves software.

Did you install any apps just before this happened?

The easiest way to test if it's a software issue…is boot the computer from an external hard drive with a fresh install of a compatible OS.

- If the problem goes away when booting from the external HD…then the problem is software/OS related on the internal HD.
- The problem remains after booting from the external HD…then the problem is most likely hardware (aka busted speaker).

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.