My Passport

Reaction score
I recently set up I-Tunes on a "My Passport" external drive and downloaded all my 400 CD's into the library. Today I cannot get I-Tunes to open from the ext drive, only the original I-Tunes opens on my I-Mac, why is this ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is the My Passport drive mounting properly? If it isn't then iTunes looks for content in the default location inside your user folder. If the drive won't mount there may be some directory structure errors.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think the question to ask is... did you correctly point your iTunes library to the Passport external drive? Copying 400 CDs to the Passport and not telling iTunes where they're located will cause iTunes to default back to its library on your iMac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And even once you have set iTunes to use the library located on an external drive - every time you open iTunes and download or import something without that external being connected - iTunes is going to auto revert to the locally stored library - meaning you'll have to go back into iTunes preferences and repoint it to the external drive.

OP
E
Reaction score
What I need is the drop down menu "Choose I-Tune Library" so I can then choose which library - how can I access this ?

C

chas_m

By always opening iTunes (not I-Tunes) with the option key held down. Also, it's iMac not I-Mac.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks Chasm - sorry if my spelling upset you !!

M

MacInWin

To permanently point (or at least default) to the external drive, open iTunes/Preferences/Advanced and change the iTunes Media folder location to point to the external drive. What Sly said about iTunes defaulting back to the internal drive still applies if you open it without the external attached, but you do avoid having to do what chas_m suggested every time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.