External hard drive not showing

Reaction score
My iMac with OS 10.9.4 will no longer recognize the Buffalo external hard drive (with USB). For awhile it appeared sporadically or after a Restart, but now not at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My iMac with OS 10.9.4 will no longer recognize the Buffalo external hard drive (with USB). For awhile it appeared sporadically or after a Restart, but now not at all.

If it was sporadic before 10.9.4, then that drive was already having issues. I'd wager it's dead and the update was just a coincidence. Does it show up at all in Disk Utility? How was it formatted?

OP
A
Reaction score
The Buffalo drive was bought new 3 months ago. It does not show up in Disk Utility. How was it formatted? Not sure this is a correct answer, but I didn't format it. If it's kaput I have lost most of my important files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Buffalo drive was bought new 3 months ago. It does not show up in Disk Utility. How was it formatted? Not sure this is a correct answer, but I didn't format it. If it's kaput I have lost most of my important files.

The drive itself may be fine, but the enclosure's hardware may be what has failed. Or perhaps you just have a bad cable. Try a new cable first. If that doesn't fix it, remove the drive and try a new enclosure. BTW, which exact model drive was this from Buffalo?

And just to be a bit of a lecturer here... never put your golden eggs all in one basket. If they are too important to lose, have a proper backup plan in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.