Transferring Files through Email

Reaction score
I have a friend who has just switched from a PC to a new MacBook. We are having trouble transferring files between us.

When ever I send her an updated FileMaker Pro file, or whenever she returns it to me, the name changes, and it requires several steps to get it to open - like this:

1. We have an FMP file called PZF 6/28/14
2. One of us makes additions or corrections, and Emails it to the other
3. When downloaded, the file shows as a generic (blank page) documant, and is titled PZF 6_28_14
4. While downloading the receiving Mac asks if it should open the file with Text Edit or Font Book - naturally, the answer is "No"
5. To open the file, it is necessary to right click on it, select "Open with Other", then navigate to the FileMaker Pro application and select it

This is happening between two Macs, running OS 10.8, and both having identical versions of FileMaker Pro 11.

Why doesn't the file come through as sent?

Maybe this is the wrong Forum for this question - any assistance in redirecting it is appreciated.

Reaction score
The filename is changing because you cant use / in a filename. This is a reserved character.
Try using underscores to begin with (_) and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
It is not a good idea to use a forward slash in a file name on a Unix system, as it is a directory separator.

That's why you see forced renaming of your file.

As far as the default app to open this file type - is there a correct extension to the file name? Sometimes, when the file is renamed, the extension might get deleted, and although file would still open fine on the original system, it would come as unknown to your recipient....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I ought to start refreshing a thread before posting a reply! LOL :D
Particularly, when a coffee break was taking place :\

M

MacInWin

And try this to stop Font Book from being offered: Right click on the file, then Get Info. A window will open. About half way down is "Open with" and a box showing what the default application for that file is. Click on the up/down arrow and pick what you want that file to be opened with, then if you want ALL files of that type opened with that same application, Click on "Change All." You will be prompted for an administrator's password. Provide it and from now on, every file with that extension will open in that application.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Cradom and MBP-17 David Nice catch guys. That never occurred to me.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to all!!

I found that it takes a combination of the Get Info step plus adding a .fmp extension to the file for this to work without any problems. Strangely, I think, is the fact that I still can't Email the file and have it download with an FMP icon.

M

MacInWin

Thanks to all!!

I found that it takes a combination of the Get Info step plus adding a .fmp extension to the file for this to work without any problems. Strangely, I think, is the fact that I still can't Email the file and have it download with an FMP icon.
So are you saying that somehow the file you are transferring has no extent? Nothing after the file name? That's why it comes in as a file that OSX offers TextEdit to open. No extent means OSX doesn't know what kind of file it is. Does the file on the creator machine put the extent? If not, that's the first problem to resolve. OSX, as a default, hides the extents on files, but shows the type file it derives from that extent. To show it, in Finder/Preferences/Advanced, check the box beside "Show all filename extensions." And make sure that the file creator adds the appropriate extent to the filename or you'll never solve the problem easily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.