Cache Map Data for future use...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
Howdy Y'all,

I recently found out that in the Google Maps app you can cache the map for offline use by typing "Ok Maps" in the bar there. I also found out (and I think this is pretty neat) that you can use GPS with airplane mode turned on! So my question is if I cache the map of say Los Angeles, at a zoom level where I can see the whole of downtown, how much can I zoom in or out after caching it?

Secondly, is there a way to do something similar in Apple Maps? I am going to Japan at the end of the week and want to cache all the locations I will be going to so I can use the GPS and not get lost.

While I could just play around with it and try to figure it out, I need my phone on at all times (and not in airplane mode) because I use it for work. Obviously when I leave the country that previous statement is not true and I won't be a slave to my device. So anyway, just wondering if anyone has done this and how it works and so on and so forth.

Again, the main query I have here is how much of the map is cached... is it just the current view or can you zoom in and out and if so how much or how little?

Thanks guys,

Flavacraze

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Secondly, is there a way to do something similar in Apple Maps? I am going to Japan at the end of the week and want to cache all the locations I will be going to so I can use the GPS and not get lost.

I don't think you can do the same with Apple Maps but not sure. Maybe someone else who knows can chime in. However, if you're planning on doing any driving in Japan you're going to need a lot more than a GPS! Been there, done that...

By the way, Japan has probably the best railway system in the world, take advantage of that instead of trying to drive. Beautiful country, lots to see. Have a great time and take lots of photos. ;)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
I'm totally pumped chscag. I've never been there so it is going to be a photo-fest. I shan't be driving. I did get this thing called the JR Pass which allows me unlimited rail travel for a duration of time. The only thing I will need the GPS for is locating my hostels and trying to map out walking routes to get to various sights in the city / countryside.

I prefer the aesthetic of Apple Maps to Google Maps which is why I was curious if there was a way to do that in Apple Maps. Plus, it saves me valuable phone space for this and that.

Anywho, thanks for the response. Also, where did you go in Japan? Any place I should check out?

Here's my itinerary:
LAX --> Tokyo --> Mt. Fuji --> Kyoto --> Osaka --> Matsuyama --> Hiroshima --> Nagoya --> Tokyo --> LAX

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been to all those places you intend to visit in Japan. The JNR Railway pass was a smart move. Anyway, the two most enjoyable for me was Mt. Fuji and the Lake Hakone area. My wife and I actually hiked up Mt. Fuji part of the way but it got to be too much for her so we didn't go any further.

The Kyoto area is also really something to see. It used to be the ancient seat of the Emperor and military governor (Shogun). The buildings and temple sites in Kyoto for the most part are original going back centuries. During WWII the US never bombed Kyoto because it was considered to be a holy and religious site for the Japanese people.

If you spend time in Tokyo, don't miss out on the Akihabara Area. There are a myriad of shops selling all sort of electronic gadgets from computers to whatever you can imagine. A bit expensive but worthwhile visiting anyway. Also the Emperor's palace grounds (whatever is open to the public) is a great place to visit in Tokyo.

If you visit Hiroshima, stop in at the Atomic Bomb museum which is there at ground zero. Real eye awakening stuff.

Anyway, have fun and make friends with the Japanese people. I found them to be friendly, polite, and kind to foreigners. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.