Importing Videos to iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
I just got my iPod a few weeks ago. I downloaded the manual so I could read up on some stuff to get familiar with it. So far I am having no luck importing any music videos into it. Do the videos have to come off of iTunes? Mine have come from Limewire, as well as my music which I have had to problem importing. I have imported pictures out of iPhoto with no problem. I may very well be doing something wrong, I just can't figure it out. Any help would be apprciated. Thanks. :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
scubagal said:
I just got my iPod a few weeks ago. I downloaded the manual so I could read up on some stuff to get familiar with it. So far I am having no luck importing any music videos into it. Do the videos have to come off of iTunes? Mine have come from Limewire, as well as my music which I have had to problem importing. I have imported pictures out of iPhoto with no problem. I may very well be doing something wrong, I just can't figure it out. Any help would be apprciated. Thanks. :dive:
All video files that you want to put on your iPod must be in MP4 format. I suggest downloading iSquint from Version Tracker, it's free, however, conversions can take a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
if they're in your iTunes library, and your iPod is on auto-synch (default factory setting), then you should have no problem transferring songs and videos. Just plug it in and it should update. If not, you'll have to drag and drop in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
BlindingLights said:
if they're in your iTunes library, and your iPod is on auto-synch (default factory setting), then you should have no problem transferring songs and videos. Just plug it in and it should update. If not, you'll have to drag and drop in iTunes.

Actually, no. If it's compatible with Quicktime, it works with iTunes. But just because it works with iTunes doesn't mean it works with iPod.

The movies have to be in MPeg 4 or H.264, resolution of 320x 240 or 480x 480 (which your iPod will reduce to 320x 240). I suggest Handbrake for encoding, and it also has a built-in DVD ripper/ encoder (if it doesn't do the job, try MacTheRipper).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I'm not too fond of Handbrake... I prefer Handbrake Lite (from the makers of iSquint) or iSquint.

Or, if you're using a PC, use PQ DVD... it's a GREAT little software that's awesomely better than any Mac app I've used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I was using Videodora Converter for mine. Most of them convereted fast and fine and updated. However a few of the Xvid copies of music videos were converted and opened in iTunes fine, but wouldn't go on the iPod due to an error or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've heard good things about Videora, but I think PQ DVD has an equal if not larger range of file conversions, plus you can rip DVD's straight into iTunes with PQ DVD, and ripping isn't something Videora does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.