Restore retina MBP to Factory Default

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello all

Bought the latest Retina MBP. Very nice machine, but pretty useless for my own needs. I need an onboard Firewire port (Thunderbolt adapter brings its own problems with DV capture into FCP) and an optical drive would be handy, too. Prefer a built-in, rather than an add-on)

Had it around 6 weeks,now, and have decided to 'downgrade' to a non retina model, which has everything I need on the machine.

My question is: How can I get the retina MBP back to its factory state (so the new owner will get the welcome screen - and none of my junk/info?) I've done this with previous Macbooks I've sold, but they always had OS discs, to help me achieve this.

Thanks in advance, CB

Can I edit the title of this thread to something more appropriate? EG Resetting MBP retina to factory settings? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's one method if you are comfortable with Terminal. Make Mavericks Re-run the Setup Assistant | Station in the Metro

I'm sure I've seen others but can't find the really good one.

Many thanks, Slydude. I like the look of that.

I'm not uber-familiar with terminal, but have used it before (under instruction!)
I'll give it a while, to see if any totally simple solutions come through, and then give it a go, if not.

Thanks again for the advice - and for changing the title, as I requested.

Best wishes, CB

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Slydude.

I'd like to conclude this thread with a final thank you.
In the end, I sold it, having manually removed the little I'd put on.
I liked the terminal method - but was a bit nervous - it would have been my first venture that deep into terminal world.
I also called Apple support and they guided me to this method:

OS X: How to erase and install

Looks effective? Might prove useful, if anyone else wants to set their retina back to zero.
But too late for me
New owner is happy, I'm happy, everybody wins.

Thanks again. Your help was much appreciated.

Best. CB

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.