Replaced HDD, having issues on startup (grey question mark, or stop sign)

Reaction score
Hi I recently had to replace my HDD that failed. :( So I got a nice SSD for it and found that the only way I could get disk utility to recognize the SSD was to connect another hard drive to the USB port, then boot and hold the option key so I could setup the SSD.

Now I have the OS running on the SSD, but each time I reboot I have to do the same procedure. Connect an external HDD to the USB, hold option just to get the option screen to let me boot into the SSD. Otherwise I just get the gray screen, and then the question mark folder icon, or the stop sign icon. I reset the PRAM etc, but could something be wrong with the motherboard, maybe the SATA cable?

Reaction score
Your external hdd might act as the bootup part.
1. first check ssd if they have a jumper plug on the back and set to master. 0
2. next you will need the setup dvd disk to start process
3. hopefully the ssd should show as selectable for partition

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also can you tell us more about your Mac? What model is it and the basic specs?

OP
Y
Reaction score
It is a Mid 2012 macbook pro. It's the one with the I7, and 8 gigs of ram, 750Gig hdd(that failed), and the DVD optical drive. I was running OSX Mavericks before the hard drive died.(but almost all of the files are still accessable on the drive when I hooked it up to my windows machine and used MacDrive to explore the files)

1.) I'll check the jumper plug today, here is the ssd for reference: Samsung 840 Evo

2.) I used the recover mode, do I really need the disk?

The thing is, I was able to install OS X onto the SSD using disk utility, from recover mode. But disk utility only recognized that the SSD was plugged in, when I had the external drive plugged into the usb. Note that the external drive is the one that failed. The failed drive symptoms were that the mac would go to the grey screen, but could never get to the apple logo, it would show the question mark folder.

Another note: I thought the install flashed some console errors when it was doing a restart, but I couldn't read quick enough to see what the error was.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The question mark symbol normally at bootup. if you're starting a fresh setup then a drive would be recognised via the setup disk via the dvd/cd first. Where you recommended this ssd model for apple computer. Like most usb flash cards are set to msdos or windows that need resetting. Try clearing the decks first.
1. PRAM
2. Setup Disk
3.Disk Utility to set SSD to mac file system
4. Restart then install normally.
See if that helps

OP
Y
Reaction score
The question mark symbol normally at bootup. if you're starting a fresh setup then a drive would be recognised via the setup disk via the dvd/cd first. Where you recommended this ssd model for apple computer. Like most usb flash cards are set to msdos or windows that need resetting. Try clearing the decks first.
1. PRAM
2. Setup Disk
3.Disk Utility to set SSD to mac file system
4. Restart then install normally.
See if that helps

Yeah I actually formatted the SSD for Mac, and when it showed up in disk utility I also clicked 'erase' so that it got formated as Mac OS X journaled. Where can I get my hands on a setup disk? Ebay, or instore? I don't think my macbook ever came with one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No discs for Lion OS X.7 and later. USe Command R (Recovery) to check out the hard drive, use Repair Disk, and if necessary download another version of whatever operating system you are using.

OP
Y
Reaction score
So the computer shut down and I had to restart. It took me a few tries using the option key to see the SSD show up. It seems intermittent, so maybe the real problem is on the motherboard, or the SATA cable? Disk utility shows the ssd as good, and repair says the ssd is also good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First port of call would be a SATA cable.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Ok today, I'll take a look at the cable and see if I can insulate it since I read that people had issues with the cable shorting against some metal parts inside. Also just ordered the SATA cable replacement preemptively.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Ok the new sata cable solved it!!! It's working superbly with the nice SSD now.

Looks like the cable probably shorted, causing the harddrive boot sector to die or something.(luckily 99% of the data is still there)

Got a OS X ISO on both a usb flash drive, and the new ssd, had to do the GUID partition but now it's all working and I have a bootable usb to recover from if needed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Excellent! Thanks so much for letting us know and that the new cable solved it!

Good going!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good work yoyodunno! And look at the money you have saved!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Haha thanks guys, I feel like I probably saved a few hundred and hours at the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you can mail me a carton of beer?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Do you guys drink fosters down there? Or is that like equivalent to our Natty Boh lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah Millers Genuine Draft for me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.