iPad does not have necessary devices

Reaction score
Hi,
Hoping someone might be able to help with the following

Mac 2011 desktop recognises my iPad as being connected but when I attempt to send a file( a photo) by Bluetooth,the iPad tells me that it doesn't have the necessary services? I know I can share the photo from iPhoto but was trying to show lady wife how to use Bluetooth and there is a considerable amount of egg on face !! Can anyone throw any light on this please? Thank you

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Simply put, you can't. Bluetooth support in iOS doesn't support file transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Though there are bluetooth apps that let you do this (mover, bluetooth pohto share etc), but they are becoming obsolete with email, iMessage, Photostream, cloud storage and wifi enabled apps. Bluetooth is a pretty slow protocol in the grand scheme of things and photos are just getting bigger and bigger.

You can look at apps like PhotoSync and see how a wifi aware app can transfer files between devices and many online services.

But If you want to hang onto bluetooth there are apps around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You can Airdrop a photo from iDevice to iDevice maybe that is what you were thinking which does use Bluetooth .
Supposedly with the upcoming 10.10 and iOS 8 we will be able to use Airdrop between the Mac and iDevices just not yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry to nitpick . . .but Airdrop uses Bluetooth to detect capable devices in the area and facilitates the creation of a wi-fi secure connection, over either an existing network that the devices are both connected to or by creating a new, temporary direct wi-fi link. The content itself is sent over wifi.

That's why AirDrop requires Bluetooth and Wi-fi to be enabled.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you everybody.Now I know why it wasn't happening.As has been said,I can photo stream the photo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry to nitpick . . .but Airdrop uses Bluetooth to detect capable devices in the area and facilitates the creation of a wi-fi secure connection, over either an existing network that the devices are both connected to or by creating a new, temporary direct wi-fi link. The content itself is sent over wifi.

That's why AirDrop requires Bluetooth and Wi-fi to be enabled.

Isn't that what Bonjour does and has done for years or are they just changing the name while the technology basically stays the same???

Sorry to maybe get a bit OT. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can consider it an extension of Bonjour I guess. It uses the bluetooth 'iBeacon' technology for device discovery. The new bit is really the direct wi-fi connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.