MacBook Pro Cooling Stand

Reaction score
I have a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina and when I use it, it gets pretty warm/hot. I was wondering what the best option is for cooling it down. My mom has a NoteBook Cooler thing she uses.

Is there one that is better than another? She has a Belkin brand.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any good sturdy notebook stand will work. The idea is to allow more air to flow under and around the machine. But there are also side benefits:

1. Better viewing level

2. Helps to protect your rMBP from nasty spills! ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Honestly…what's the most important aspect of a laptop cooler?? Reducing the internal temp of the laptop (of course)!:) Frequently…what data is usually missing from MANY laptop cooler reviews?? The amount of temp. reduction due to the laptop cooler!:(

Why is this when installing a temperature monitoring app is so easy? In my opinion…it's because the amount of cooling from a laptop cooler is really very little. If the temp. reduction was dramatic…BELIEVE ME…authors of laptop cooler reviews would be including this info much more often.

I did a bunch of searching…and came across very little temp reduction info in cooler reviews. I could only find one good article…and it was from 2007:

6 Best Laptop Cooling Pads You Can Buy

As you can see in the review…the various laptop coolers helped to cool the laptop anywhere from 2°C to 6°C (3.6°F to 10.8°F). Laptop coolers can cost from approx. $6.99 to $129.99. Is this enough temp reduction to justify the purchase of a laptop cooler...personally…I really don't think so.

MAYBE…if someone was very close (couple degrees) from the max. upper limit that the laptop can take before the laptop will shut down from excessive heat. But in the majority of situations…I don't really think a 2°C to 6°C (3.6°F to 10.8°F) temp reduction is very much. Of course a $6.99 laptop cooler doesn't cost very much…but then a $6.99 cooler may not cool very much either.

As chscag pointed out…a laptop cooler can have other benefits (better viewing level and better protection from liquid spills). But a laptop coolers main purpose (laptop cooling)…doesn't seem as exciting as I think we would like. If a "laptop cooler" doesn't really cool very well…then it's really just a "laptop stand"!;)

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And despite the name 'laptop', keep it off your lap. They can burn!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.