Powerbook g4 will not mount any .dmg files. why?

Reaction score
know its old but its faster than any computer i have had in my life. i do have much newer computers but would like to get this one working. The only problem is i cant update the software on it or download any new programs. I know the programs are compatible to the current MAC version on the PC so its not compatibility issues. Every time i download a .dmg file i install it and at the end of installation it says an error " the following disk images failed to mount'' reason: no mountable file systems.
I know there is tons of space since i have not been able to download anything and i did a clean reboot and restore of the software so there are no programs on it besides the factory installed ones. I do not know what to do. How can i fix this? thanks for your time
running MAC OS X 10.3.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The .dmg file may have been corrupted during download, so maybe try again.

Theoretically it should open and mount with "DiskImage Mounter" I believe so you may want to check that its installed and opens without any trouble or errors. It may even be damaged.

Or even try setting up a new admin user and login to that account and try again.

OP
A
Reaction score
The .dmg file may have been corrupted during download, so maybe try again.

Theoretically it should open and mount with "DiskImage Mounter" I believe so you may want to check that its installed and opens without any trouble or errors. It may even be damaged.

Or even try setting up a new admin user and login to that account and try again.

thanks but as i stated above, this has been happening with all of my .dmg files. I know its not corrupt because it even happended with a mac os x Tiger 10.5 .dmg i was going to upgrade using that .dmg but it didnt work it gave me the eror i posted above. Also creating another admin did not work either.

Reaction score
with a mac os x Tiger 10.5 .dmg i was going to upgrade using that .dmg but it didnt work it gave me the eror i posted above.
Aside from being illegal that wouldn't have worked anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not if it was a legit Apple Mac COMBO Update .dmg.

Maybe that particular Mac's HDD is failing??

Does it download and mount on another Mac? Excuse me if you already said so and I missed it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Aside from being illegal that wouldn't have worked anyway.

thats illegal? well this issue isnt just happening for that file. I have tried downloading many different .dmg files for ex. word, iphoto, and stuff like that

OP
A
Reaction score

Maybe that particular Mac's HDD is failing??

Does it download and mount on another Mac? Excuse me if you already said so and I missed it.

yes no issues on other macs. And the powerbook should not have a bad Harddrive. Any more suggestions? would like to think of bad hdd as a last resort. And its not only that file its every file. I will try to fiond more programs that i know are compatible and downloading them to see if it is the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if the downloaded .dmg files work and mount properly on one Mac, why not use it and connect the goofy Mac with Firewire Target Disk mode and instal with the working Mac, but choose the correct volume or location that most older installers had as an option.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well if the downloaded .dmg files work and mount properly on one Mac, why not use it and connect the goofy Mac with Firewire Target Disk mode and instal with the working Mac, but choose the correct volume or location that most older installers had as an option.

ok so while experimenting i noticed some .dmg files would download they just needed to be REALLY old like 10.2
How can i update my powerbook to 10.5? is there a free update that i could use. Or if i have to i don't mind doing something illegal i just don't see the point of buying something that is so old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so while experimenting i noticed some .dmg files would download they just needed to be REALLY old like 10.2
How can i update my powerbook to 10.5? is there a free update that i could use. Or if i have to i don't mind doing something illegal i just don't see the point of buying something that is so old.

OK, let 's get some basic Mac facts established here for the Powerbook G4 you're having all the problems with:

Like what Powerbook G4 model is it???

Not all Powerbook G4s can run OS X 10.5.x leave alone install properly, and the same for software that needs a later OS X version.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK, let 's get some basic Mac facts established here for the Powerbook G4 you're having all the problems with:

Like what Powerbook G4 model is it???

Not all Powerbook G4s can run OS X 10.5.x leave alone install properly, and the same for software that needs a later OS X version.

Machine model: Powerbook G4 15"
CPU Type : PowerPC G4 (1.1)
1.5 Ghz
memory: 512 mb
Bus Speed: 167 Mhz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, Thanks,

At least it it can use Maximum Maximum MacOS: X 10.5.8 and Maximum RAM: 2 GB.

Have you tried sitting it down and clod boot it into Safe Boot Mode, and while it's booted, run DU and repair Permissions and verify disk.

Maybe try one of your .dmg files while booted there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How can i update my powerbook to 10.5? is there a free update that i could use.

No free updates to 10.5. 10.5 is an OS upgrade…and this costs money. You need to purchase an OS 10.5 install DVD. These cost $75+ via eBay.

Or if i have to i don't mind doing something illegal…

We do not assist or condone illegal activities.

i just don't see the point of buying something that is so old.

Age doesn't matter. We work within a free economy system. Which in part means supply & demand.

- If demand is high & supply low…prices are high.
- If demand is low & supply high…prices are low.

Age doesn't matter. It all comes down to what folks are willing to pay. And right now…folks are paying $75+ for OS 10.5 install DVD's (they originally cost $129). So if you want/need one…that's what you will have to pay on eBay.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
OK, Thanks,

At least it it can use Maximum Maximum MacOS: X 10.5.8 and Maximum RAM: 2 GB.

Have you tried sitting it down and clod boot it into Safe Boot Mode, and while it's booted, run DU and repair Permissions and verify disk.

Maybe try one of your .dmg files while booted there.

not sure what clod boot is. Did you mean cold boot? and i will try safe mode and let you know

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

You're not going to find help here with the process of acquiring software illegally. We don't make it a habit of encouraging our users to violate the law. here's what I can tell you:

1. The incremental and combo updaters that Apple officially released for 10.5 are useless until the base 10.5 update is on the system so that won't work.
2. Any sile where you might acquire an illegal image file of 10.5 are a good place to also acquire malware.
3. Legit copies of 10.5 are available online but are not cheap.
4. In order to run 10.5 well you'll want to upgrade the memory if those specs are correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not sure what clod boot is. Did you mean cold boot? and i will try safe mode and let you know

Yup, sorry for the spelling mistrake. ;)

Reaction score
He said he was running 10.3.3. A combo updater would not install, he would need a 10.4 install disk.
Hence using a 10.4.dmg would be illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He said he was running 10.3.3. A combo updater would not install, he would need a 10.4 install disk.
Hence using a 10.4.dmg would be illegal.

You are quite right. I'm sorry I missed the fact.

And no Mac OS X 10.4 Update or Mac OS X 10.4 anything will run or install except the appropriate Mac OS X 10.4 installer in case the OP is reading this.

BTW: Many of the local Apple Tech gurus years ago would advise creating a backup CD or DVD or image for personal use as allowed by Apple, in case the optical disk got scratched or quit working etc. I think they even suggested the same thing when the OS came on floppies, but who did that?? :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think they even suggested the same thing when the OS came on floppies, but who did that?? :p

/Slydude raises hand in best Arnold Horshack impression "Me Mr. Kotter. I did that all the time."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
/Slydude raises hand in best Arnold Horshack impression "Me Mr. Kotter. I did that all the time."

Funny!!!

I just never admitted to the same thing as I was always labelled and known as a packrat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.