Internet Connectivity Problem

Reaction score
Hi, I am on a MBP mid 2012 13". I just left my house for vacation to visit some family in a different state. I connected to their internet at their house and it works fine for searching things on google, etc. But, the Mail app doesn't work. Whenever I try to get new messages it says, "There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Gmail” or try again. The server returned the error: The connection to the server “imap.gmail.com” on port 993 timed out."
I also tried using my steam app, but that also doesn't work online. It says that I am having problem connecting to the steam server, and that I need to check my connection. I can go in through offline mode, but I want to play online.
Thanks.
-Ryan

Reaction score
Are you still using the landline method or wifi broadband? Check your router to see if the ip address is the same as your friend staying for router address. Or it could be the google server for mail is down. You have to reset the mail server to recognise your setup.

OP
S
Reaction score
Are you still using the landline method or wifi broadband? Check your router to see if the ip address is the same as your friend staying for router address. Or it could be the google server for mail is down. You have to reset the mail server to recognise your setup.

I am using wifi wirelessly, and I don't think the ip address is the same because I haven't gotten a message saying that someone else has the same ip address as me. Its weird cause, I can only do certain things on the internet. The same things happen in bootcamp as well. I don't the the google server is down, because I can check my emails in gmail when I pull it up on a browser. I just can't use the app. On bootcamp, I can't play certain games online, such as battlefield. Certain things that I've tried, that don't work, say that they have trouble connecting, and that their server might be down. Or that I have connection problems. But most things work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Has your friend blocked ports on his router? If you are getting on the internet your IP address is fine. Your mail app and gaming apps are using different ports and possible different protocols. In an effort not to get too complicated (I have seen people's eyes glaze over when I get to technical and smile when I just say, I fixed it!) ask if they have a filter or firewall on their internet. Sometimes people are not aware their modem or router is capable of filtering or restricting access because they never use those ports.

I suspect that might be your problem.

Lisa

Reaction score
I am using wifi wirelessly, and I don't think the ip address is the same because I haven't gotten a message saying that someone else has the same ip address as me. Its weird cause, I can only do certain things on the internet. The same things happen in bootcamp as well. I don't the the google server is down, because I can check my emails in gmail when I pull it up on a browser. I just can't use the app. On bootcamp, I can't play certain games online, such as battlefield. Certain things that I've tried, that don't work, say that they have trouble connecting, and that their server might be down. Or that I have connection problems. But most things work fine.

Could be your friend has restriction setting on max.
1. Go to System Preference/Network look for your IP 192.168.0.1xx or similar
2. The router will be 192.168.0.1 or similar.
3. DNS server 192.168.0.1 or 8.8.8.8. for google that gives access to Internet
Check or look below for diagnostic to ensure all green and Apply
4 Open Mail APP if using then Preference/Accounts
5. Look for your Server, mine is outlook.com on the left column
6. If none +or- section to add your mail server.
7. Follow instructions then on accounts information Click box enable this account and the bottom one for outgoing mail server.
Question what router is the main computer using Airport express base station or another company to access the internet. I think you can piggy back his mail app by via CC on the his email address.
[email protected]
CC [email protected]
This where the complicated bit gets involved
1 Owners permission the master computer
2 Slave computer yours shared via his.
3. Setting to communicate between two computers
Hopefully a grown up can confirm using Mail App via another mac computer.
The problem might be you friend setting as mentioned previous restricting as he can create several email account via his server permission but not have a outsider using the same server piggy backing.
As you said you had no problem access via WebMail probable to with fact it goes to two servers instead of one direct server. Simple language you have the key to your house door and you can pick up the mail on the floor or letterbox. While later no key no access.
Sounds long winded being a Englishman hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.