Problems With Pages

Reaction score
I keep losing documents in Pages, I start a document and after opening and closing it several times to work on it suddenly I get a message that the document couldn't be opened because:
The required index.xml file is missing. What's going on here, am I retarded or is Pages a flawed program?

Reaction score
I keep losing documents in Pages, I start a document and after opening and closing it several times to work on it suddenly I get a message that the document couldn't be opened because:
The required index.xml file is missing. What's going on here, am I retarded or is Pages a flawed program?

Sounds to me like you have upgraded to Mavericks and auto-upgraded your iWork software to the latest and cruddiest Apple versions.

In which case you have both Pages 5.2 and Pages '09 on your Mac and are alternately opening one or the other.

Pages '09 can not open the Pages 5.2 files. In fact even Pages 5.1 can't.

Apple cleverly made the .pages extension the same on all versions, even though the format is completely different in the latest version.

Pages 5 is best avoided. Apple removed over 110 features and added a stack of bugs.

You can export your Pages 5 documents back to Pages '09 format and keep using that until Apple gets its act together (which it does not look like it is going to bother).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.