Flash Player

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Adobe is getting worse!

Now when one goes to a web site and Flash Player is required and needs updating, according to Adobe, the browser is hijacked and a window to install pops up. Back buttons etc do not work, Force Quit is the only thing to recover your computer.

Also be aware if you do download the new version, it automatically changes the System Preferences for Flash Player by selecting the 'Allow Adobe toInstall Updates'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Harry - Adobe has been & will continue to be a PITA! Thanks for the warning - just went into 'System Preferences' and did a Flash update - screen shown below was offered to me - obviously, I picked the 2nd choice, i.e. notify me to install updates.

What are the alternatives to using the Flash plugin? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 6.05.21 PM.png

OP
harryb2448
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave the usual answer is .. there are none! Mozilla also advises there are none. Maybe just avoid anything with video if possible in this day and age, and have a read of this:-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/internet-web-apps-and-networking/12613-is-there-alternative-to-adobe-flash-player.html

Thanks, Harry - guess that I already knew the answer to that question - ;)

Just checked my wife's iMac - she apparently updated Flash w/o telling me - System Preferences on her computer had the Adobe set to 'automatic' updates! CRAP! Well, I told her not to update anything w/o asking or showing me first - Dave :)

C

chas_m

Millions of people have upgraded to the latest version of Flash without any issue. It's vitally important that you do so, so your wife was quite correct to have done it.

I usually keep Flash off most of the time because of the flaws such as the one that caused this latest forced update, but when the update is issued I can install it no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Millions of people have upgraded to the latest version of Flash without any issue. It's vitally important that you do so, so your wife was quite correct to have done it.

I usually keep Flash off most of the time because of the flaws such as the one that caused this latest forced update, but when the update is issued I can install it no problem.

Oh, no problem w/ doing the update - my complaint to Adobe is the default to install future updates automatically - I want to be asked and then decide. Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Oh, no problem w/ doing the update - my complaint to Adobe is the default to install future updates automatically - I want to be asked and then decide. Dave :)
This is a catch-22. Automatic silent updates (as with Mac App Store apps and Chrome) are great in ensuring that users have up to date and secured versions of apps but then there's the risk that a bug that creeps through QA gets pushed out to your entire user base. Updating Flash in the background is great for plugging holes but then you inherit the potential for unforeseen bugs.

OP
harryb2448
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I did not like was the browser (Safari) being hijacked, with the only oprion being to hit the 'Update Now' button. No leaving the page, Back or anything. Force Quit was the only option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.