Question about buying used.

Reaction score
Hello, this may seem like a dumb question, but I am looking to buy a used iMac online. I particularly have my eyes on iMacs that are listed to be preloaded with programs such as CS6, final cut pro, etc. How exactly does that work though? Will I be able to have ownership of the mac while still retaining the programs? Or will I have to use the original seller's account to use them? If I changed the ownership to myself, will all the programs be cleared?

Thank you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If this person has the original install disks with serial numbers, it's all legit. If not, those programs are not really yours. If they do have the documentation, and the applications were installed for every user of the computer, you can create a new user account from the previous owner's account, then delete the previous owner's account from your new one.

Depending on the model, you may want to make sure they also have the original OS X install disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Further if you do not get the discs and codes for CS6, MS Office, FCP etc, it is pirated software which will cause you some frief somewhere along the line. I would not purchase a used computer from underhanded sellers.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As a general rule the following are true when it comes to ownership of software and transferring it from one user to another.

1. If software was purchased from the App Store the software is tied to the previous owner's account. In order to update it you would have to be logged into that user's store account. The license agreement only allows that person to use the software on computers he/she owns or controls.

2. Software that was not purchased from the App store generally belongs to the person who purchased it. Transferring ownership is sometimes as simple as them providing you with the original install media. In some cases you also have to contact the developer

Given the cost of some of the programs you've mentioned I suggest checking with the developer/company site and look at the license agreement. It has been a while since I looked at the Adobe license but they are one of several manufacturers that are picky about this. If for example the seller has sold/given the software to someone else you may not be able to activate it.

C

chas_m

Bottom line: if you buy a computer with pirated software on it, you're going to have problems. So don't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.