Duplicate Pics

Reaction score
Here's the situation. I take a picture with my iPhone5, and synch my phone with iTunes & iCloud. I have My Photo Stream and Photo Sharing turned on, on my iPhone, both in Settings/ iCloud and Settings/Photo & Camera. After I synch, I discover that I have duplicate pics on my iPhone5 when looking at Photos/Years/Collections/Moments. Why is this happening?

This part may be TMI, but I also have an iPad, and the settings are the same on it. Could my issue be because of that? If I turned off Photo Sharing & My Photo Stream on the iPad, would this eliminate the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Having those options switched on on both devices is exactly how it's designed to be. That's not where your duplicates are coming from.

iTunes can only load photos onto your devices, it doesn't copy them off. For this you need something else which is a missing step from your description above.

Are you syncing photos back to your devices in iTunes?

As an experiment use whatever method you have for copying new photos from your phone then sync in iTunes but don't sync any photos.

OP
D
Reaction score
Having those options switched on on both devices is exactly how it's designed to be. That's not where your duplicates are coming from.

iTunes can only load photos onto your devices, it doesn't copy them off. For this you need something else which is a missing step from your description above.

Are you syncing photos back to your devices in iTunes?

As an experiment use whatever method you have for copying new photos from your phone then sync in iTunes but don't sync any photos.

I took your experiment. I took some new pics, loaded them into iPhoto on my MBP, the synched my iPhone in iTunes. Guess what? I now have duplicates of those "experiment" pics? What am I doing wrong? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
And in iTunes on the pictures tab for the device it's unticked? So you're not syncing a images from iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Precisely. Your adding photos to iPhoto. This doesn't remove them from your phone. You're then syncing those same images back to your phone. Hence the duplicates

OP
D
Reaction score
Precisely. Your adding photos to iPhoto. This doesn't remove them from your phone. You're then syncing those same images back to your phone. Hence the duplicates

When I untick the Photos tab, I would select Keep the photos if I want to keep them on my phone, correct?

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me.
(I feel foolish that I couldn't figure it out, but much better to get to the bottom of this.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The panel in iTunes lets you choose which photos from iPhoto are copied to you're phone or ipad. It can only control the photos that it has put there. It cannot remove the photos taken and created on the phone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.