the american keyboards are lost

Reaction score
Hello, Strangely enough and for the first time in so many years, I cannot find anymore the american Keyboard. I use it regularly for the last twenty years for typing ancient Greek texts (much easier to find the all the accents, etc.). I can find all sorts of keyboards (Urdou, Uzbek…) except English and American keyboards. Is this related to the last Mavericks upgrade (X.9.4 on my MBAir). I am not sure how to recover it. Should I reinstall the whole system? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That does seem odd. Just to be clear, you are going through "Input Sources" in the Keyboard Preference Pane? And when you hit the + sign below, you don't have "English" available, which should be sandwiched in between Dutch and Estonian?

Have you done anything like run a 3rd party tool to clear out international language support? You can try downloading and applying the 10.9.4 Update Combo to see if that resolves this.
OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I downloaded the Combo update and it is o.k. I use a french swiss keyboard and switch to the american in which the location of every sign of ancient languages is known to me for a long time now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.