iMac 2009 & Apple TV

Reaction score
I have just purchased an Apple TV & I have an older 2009 iMac without airplay. I didnt realise at the time that we couldn't stream from one to another. What I want to do is stream movies from the internet through to the tv. Not through iTunes. We also have an ipad 2013 but have come to realise that you can't watch movies on this either as it doesn't support flash. Can anyone recommend a way around this ? Have I just wasted a $100 on an Apple TV ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Take note if your video is handled by the 9400M it is not supported.

OP
E
Reaction score
The problem is that 2009 Imac/Macbooks are not supported by Airplay, we only realised that after buying an Apple TV. I hoping someone may know of a 3rd party software or another way to mirror your computers onto your TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have just purchased an Apple TV & I have an older 2009 iMac without airplay. I didnt realise at the time that we couldn't stream from one to another. What I want to do is stream movies from the internet through to the tv. Not through iTunes. We also have an ipad 2013 but have come to realise that you can't watch movies on this either as it doesn't support flash. Can anyone recommend a way around this ? Have I just wasted a $100 on an Apple TV ?

Please provide more information: 1) Do you have a home Wi-Fi network w/ a wireless router; 2) What is the model of your Apple TV; and 3) Do you have a HDTV?

I have a Roku device that communicates w/ my wireless router - via Wi-Fi, I stream movies from Amazon & Netflix, music from Pandora, and much more - your Apple TV should be able to do the same w/o the need for communication w/ you iMac or your iPad; of course, w/ AirPlay, you have an additional choice.

BUT, let us first know the answers to the above - Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Hey RadDave, yes we have wifi a HDTV and an Apple Tv 3, we are in NZ and Im not sure that the Roku is available here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
The problem is that 2009 Imac/Macbooks are not supported by Airplay, we only realised that after buying an Apple TV. I hoping someone may know of a 3rd party software or another way to mirror your computers onto your TV?

Air Parrot (in the link in my post above) is 3rd party software that will allow you to mirror your iMac's display onto your TV via Apple TV. It worked fine on my old 2007 iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hey RadDave, yes we have wifi a HDTV and an Apple Tv 3, we are in NZ and Im not sure that the Roku is available here?

Hi again - well, I'm in the USA so cannot comment on the content available in NZ (although I've been drinking your Sauvignon Blancs for years!).

BUT, if your Apple TV is connected properly to your HDTV and is communicating w/ your home Wi-Fi, then the Apple TV menu should offer you numerous AV (i.e. movies, channels, services, etc.) options - are you able to use the Apple TV (just for the moment completely forgetting about AirPlay)? If not, then you need to work on that issue. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Im not too sure what you mean here?

Airplay works fine on my 09 but mirroring is out even when trying to use Air Parrot because the onboard video chip 9400M is not supported and I believe it is stated on their site under compatibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.