• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Full Circle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
When I first went to work for State Government the Attorney General's Office was the only office that used Macs. This was mostly because one Attorney/IT Person loved them and would have nothing to do with Windows PCs. This was in the early 1900's oh, I mean 1990's. I thought I would never figure out how to use one. After I had just began to catch on, the newly elected AG dictated that all MAC's would be removed during the period between Christmas and New Year's and Windows PCs would be installed by the time he started on January 2nd. There was major panic! No one knew how to administer a Windows environment and the person who ordered all the pcs ordered them without hard drives or memory. There were four of us and I was the only one with Windows experience to setup 250 computers in 2 weeks. At that time I said I would never have a MAC, never ever! My words were a little hard to swallow in 2012 as I ordered my first MAC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great story. Glad you did finally give the Mac a try!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
After I had just began to catch on, the newly elected AG dictated that all MAC's would be removed during the period between Christmas and New Year's and Windows PCs would be installed by the time he started on January 2nd. There was major panic! No one knew how to administer a Windows environment and the person who ordered all the pcs ordered them without hard drives or memory..

It still floors me when tech-related decisions are made that arbitrarily. First because no one bothered to ask if anyone could administer a Windows network. Second, what were the computers supposed to store information on? Sheets of toilet paper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
"Mac" is short for Macintosh, of course. Kind of like Sue for Susan. Not an abbreviation, though it is abbreviated; and not an acronym for anything.

Yes, I can be pedantic. What bugs me more than that is someone writing "Mac's" or 'MAC's" when referring to more than one. A plural is not possessive! Of course, this happens with other words, and I know that some style sheets for publications mandate the apostrophe with acronyms.

But, gotta love those "decisions from the top", often illustrating how clueless the leader can be. It's like they want to do something big and then deal with the consequences, after they find out what those might be!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
There was major panic! No one knew how to administer a Windows environment and the person who ordered all the pcs ordered them without hard drives or memory. There were four of us and I was the only one with Windows experience to setup 250 computers in 2 weeks. At that time I said I would never have a MAC, never ever! My words were a little hard to swallow in 2012 as I ordered my first MAC.

I was in public education in 1980 and was asked if I would like to attempt to teach "computer science" in addition to my other teaching assignment. We had a few apple II's scattered around the district - one kept the attendance and other state stats on a daisy chained set of 4 floppy disk drives.

All of a sudden some person in the state department of education showered a lot of money on schools to spend on technology - IBM PC technology. We were sold this bill of goods about how the IBM guys would "roll up their sleeves" and help us get up and running in no time. RIght...the computers were delivered and we never saw them again.

$3600 a piece for a 15" green and black CRT, 8088 processors with 256kb of memory and two single-sided 5-1/4" floppy drives. Software included DOS 1.0 and 1.1. I and one other instructor were to teach BASIC programming, word processing, spreadsheets and database management to high school students. Since typing was an elective most did not type. It was a challenge.

I became one of the resident techs, I would get stuck trying to work on the Apples which I found very frustrating. Remember there was no genius bar. Parts were expensive. The biggest problem was the floppy discs failing. Both the discs and the drives.

So over 33 years of PC/Windows computers. Hard to break a habit but I did about a year ago. Now I wish I had the money to change over everything. I want to add a Mac Pro to edit video with. I got it bad!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Down Under various state governments have used Macs for Police, transport etc dating from the G4 lampshade iMac. Hard those withdrawal symptoms iclev?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My computer experience dates back to 1980 w/ an Apple II+ - actually related to my job as an academic radiologist, i.e. wanting to be able to checkout our X-ray dictations @ home for quicker release (was on a 1200-baud Hayes modem) - the computer (w/ an added floppy drive + the modem cost me $3000 in the money of the day, now nearly $9000 using an inflation calculator) was costly!

Well in '81 IBM released the PC and then the first HDs came along, so when my department (and medical school, I guess) wanted to 'update' computers, we did debate between the new 'first' Mac & a PC - the latter won (mainly due to price) - my 2nd computer was a PC w/ DOS and a 20 MB HD (and a much cheaper modem) - I was on PCs from the mid-80s to 2013 - last spring after a year into retirement, I returned to Apple - wife now uses an iMac and I'm on my MBPro (we also have a couple of iPads & an iPod). Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hard those withdrawal symptoms iclev?

I was at work trying to make some progress on a project I have in Premiere Pro. When I shut down for the day on Wednesday, Windows had 22 updates to install. I came in on Thursday, started up my editor and Premiere would not load the project and kept crashing. I had to run restore to roll back the updates to get Premiere to load the projects.

Now I will have to track down the cuprite or wait until another update fixes it. There is no solution yet because it is too new. I have turned off updates but even that may not prevent a reinstall. Updates have a mysterious way of still getting installed.

So withdraw...not from Windows. I want a Mac Pro!

I love the polite way apple updates ask to install or let you do it later. No force or sneaking around.

Oh, and harryb.... it's iPhone, iMac, iPod, iPad and I am LCLEV (not iclev) not that famous....yet! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.