MBP woes... crashing, can't load, white screens, split screens

Reaction score
2012 i7 MPB keeps crashing, Multiple issues:

- power up goes to white screen (but I can correct this via command+R on startup and entering disk utilities)
- once within OSX every single program is acting buggy - ie - executing programs leads to white screen, black screen, program stalling, or screen rebooting/loading from the middle vertical axis and wrapping around from the left side. Mouse is an inch-long single row of whited out pixels.
- port area very hot

Issues concurrent with 10.9.4 install. Upgraded two days ago, two days of strange behaviour which seems to be snowballing. My Mac is now unusable until a solution is found. Keeping it off and hoping I can run out the battery for now.

Maybe an FYI to other MBP owners to hold off with the 10.9.4 install for now. My mac specs: 2012 MBP w/ 2.3 i7 quad core, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD.

Unfortunately I can't copy/send any error reports - my laptop just keeps bugging out. Pics on my iPhone and can't be uploaded via this computer (my father's).

Seeing a few similar issues in the current topics of the forum. I dare say they're all related.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of folks have upgraded to 10.9.4 including myself without any difficulty. If your MacBook Pro is covered by Apple Care, take it on in and let a genius look at it. It sounds like your SSD might be acting up. Did you use Disk Utility to check and verify the SSD?

OP
C
Reaction score
Lots of folks have upgraded to 10.9.4 including myself without any difficulty. If your MacBook Pro is covered by Apple Care, take it on in and let a genius look at it. It sounds like your SSD might be acting up. Did you use Disk Utility to check and verify the SSD?

Yes. Command+R on startup to load into disk utility. The SSD comes back with a clean bill of health. No Apple Care plan.

OP
C
Reaction score
Nothing but a blue screen now after load up - I can't even access disk utility.

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
And now it's loading up just fine. What's going on here?

Thank god, and it's finally allowing me to clone the SSD onto another hard drive (subject of another thread).

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
IMG_0290_zps1166b6b2.jpg

IMG_0293_zps67c6c3fb.jpg

Why yes... yes I did.

And after a couple of hours smooth sailing i'm back to the glitchville of a permanent white screen. But at least I got a backup of my hard drive. If you have any theories on what's going on here i'm all ears. SSD teetering on failure is well within the realms of possibility... I tell ya i'm just thankful I could draw the data out before I saw a puff of smoke or something.

I guess I can take it in to an Apple Store, but the nearest is a three hour round trip (I live a hour or so outside of Perth, Australia). I might keep it turned off permanently now for safety's sake. Will tune in again in the morning and hopefully you guys might offer up a few ideas (or deduce what's likely from what's unlikely).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't think this is an SSD failure. It looks like a hardware failure related to the GPU, or perhaps something like a loose cable connecting the screen. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode, or run the Apple Hardware Test?

EDIT: if you can, try manually downloading and applying the 10.9.4 Update Combo.
OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo)

OP
C
Reaction score
Well that sucks - I can't run a hardware test. Pressing 'D' during startup simply prolongs the grey screen for about 20 seconds, but no test icons or GUI forthcoming.

I'll search for the combo update now. MBP is playing ball for the time being.

C

chas_m

You are definitely having an issue with the GPU there. Get it to an authorised Apple service provider ASAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can a GPU be repaired in isolation, or will it require a full logic board replacement?

A good repair shop that specializes in that sort of thing can. Apple typically will replace the logic board entirely, perhaps with a refurbished one that they did repair. Someone else here was quoted something like $350 for a replacement board, which is surprisingly cheap for these and about what a repair shop would charge for a repair. Here's a couple of those places:
iMac, Macbook Pro and Macbook Logic Board Repair
Mac Logic Board Repair | MacService

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, just for laughs... you should try booting off an external drive or USB stick. If that clone job was successful, try that, though a clean install would be better. Just on the off chance you have a corrupted graphics driver (the clone would have that same corrupted driver if that is the case). In fact, download and apply the 10.9.4 Update Combo. This is extremely coincidental that it happened right when you did the update, and I've already seen one confirmed case where something bizarre happened with the update and the Update Combo ironed it out.
OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts Lifesabeach. I did try the Update Combo but i'm still getting this random behaviour. But it does seem a bit longer between 'glitch outs'. If they keep decreasing in regularity i'll just hold off and see if 10.9.5 resolves it completely.

I'm happy to rule out the SSD as being the issue, but I do think it's a good cue to upgrade... it is a 3yo drive after all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.