• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I just got an iMac G5, how do you get it to work?

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here.
I've been given an imac g5 and need some advice as I'm also new to apple software & hardware but have experience on windows software & hardware. Now that I've been given this machine its finally given me a kick up the **** to use a apple device, haha.

The problem is that before it was given to me the hard-drive had been wiped (on a windows pc, I believe) so when you turn it on you get a grey screen with a folder flashing between a question mark and mac logo, what do I need to get or do to make this machine work?

Another problem is that I think there's a CD in drive because I cant fit discs in. How do you eject? There's no button:Confused: I've read on google you hold down certain commands on the keyboard while its booting up to eject, but it doesn't work for me.

Which leads to a question about keyboards and mice.
Can you use windows keyboards and mice on the imac g5 or apple computers in general? Although the keybords commands didnt work for me, I did get into the "BootROM" or "Open Firmware" (looks like dos) by holding the power button down. But I couldn't type using my windows keyboard :(

So to end, any advice or point in the right direction would be much appreciated :D
I'm looking forward to using the machine, but at the moment I'm constantly scratching my head when searching on google as I cant really find a consistent answer.

Many thanks in advance.

Oh yeah the specs, imac g5 20"/2.0/512mb/250gb/super/56k/bt/ap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
To eject the disc:
How to Eject a Disk on Startup in an iMac | eHow

I'm not 100% sure a Windows keyboard will work on the pre-intel Macs, but I think they will. Almost any mouse will work fine.

As for installing an OS, you'll need an installation disc for OS X. Hopefully that's what's in the drive. If not, you'll have to buy one, and copies for a Mac that old are actually rather expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are going to have to buy an operating system. For a G5, suggest Leopard OS X.5 which will not be cheap on eBay and such. When you have the DVD, pop it in, boot and hold down 'C'. When booted from the disc, leave the Installer, go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Erase and Format mac OS XExtended (Journaled), into Partition > Options and make sure Apple Partition Map is selected.

Back to the Installer and proceed. Update to OS X.5.8 using Software Update. And be patient. Macs work different to Windows. Have a look at tip for switchers.

http://allthingsd.com/20080702/some-general-tips-for-switch-to-mac-from-windows/

And member chas m's great sticky:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html

OP
B
Reaction score

I tried those commands and they don't work, must be the windows keyboard? Unsure why the mouse command don't work? So looks like I'm gonna have to buy an apple keyboard.

For a G5, suggest Leopard OS X.5 which will not be cheap on eBay and such.

So about the operating system what would be a cheap option?
And if for some reason the dvd drive doesn't work can I copy the dvd to usb (using windows) and boot? Just wondering because its an old system and I'm using windows.

Thanks for speedy responses :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Rule one this is like Windows ~ no cheap option. Go to eBay and such but only buy a black retails install DVD, no silver/grey model specific discs at any prce. Normally about +$80.00.

And no to USB as PowerPC Macs do not boot from USB.

OP
B
Reaction score
I think my first step is to buy the original keyboard to get the disc out, fingers crossed its got the install disc inside. Thanks very much for advice :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried those commands and they don't work, must be the windows keyboard? Unsure why the mouse command don't work? So looks like I'm gonna have to buy an apple keyboard.

Holding down the mouse button when you restart the computer usually does the trick. If this method is not working...it is always possible that the disk drive itself is dead/not working.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Just wondering if mouse button command isn't working because there's no operating system installed?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just wondering if mouse button command isn't working because there's no operating system installed?

No - because that would occur prior to the OS loading.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Holding down the left mouse button right after the Startup BONG and keeping it down till the DVD ejects will work without an OS installed. If it's not I would bet the optical drive is messed up.

When you press the power button to you get a loud Bong like sound through the speakers?

C

chas_m

Are you using an Apple mouse? If not, are you sure you are holding down the LEFT mouse key and not the RIGHT mouse key?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.