TV Refresh Rate (120 vs 60) Output to TV question

Reaction score
I Purchased a new TV (to double as a monitor). The cheapest one was a 120 Hertz refresh rate.

When i got home and hooked it to my Mac Mini (late 2013) via HDMI, i noticed that my mac video settings has a max of 60 Hertz.

I tested using Netflix and everything looked really bad. Everything had a striped blurry look to it. I know streaming video doesnt look all that great but this looked wrong.

My question is... Am I correct in assuming that my issue is an incompatablility in the refresh rates? If I return the 120Hertz and buy a 60Hertz will this issue go away and will it look correct?

Is this an HDMI issue?

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually the 120 Hz refresh should enhance any High Definition TV you're watching especially where a lot of high speed motion is displayed. But using it as a monitor for your Mini is probably not a good idea. I really can't recommend any TV over a good quality monitor although a lot of folks like to use them instead.

Return the TV for another model with a 60 Hz refresh to see if that works better for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually the 120 Hz refresh should enhance any High Definition TV you're watching especially where a lot of high speed motion is displayed. But using it as a monitor for your Mini is probably not a good idea. I really can't recommend any TV over a good quality monitor although a lot of folks like to use them instead.

Return the TV for another model with a 60 Hz refresh to see if that works better for you.

thanks for your help!

I know more and more people are using mac minis as an entertainment center for audio streaming and video.

Is there a best practice to get Netflix (or really any video) from my mac to the TV for best resolution?

My parents have a Roku unit and that is how they display NetFlix on the TV and that looks way better than my results of computer to TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.