• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Advice on efficient workflow for collaborative editing in FCP 10.1.1 w/ 4K files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S iPod Nano 6th Gen MacBook Pro (2011) -OS: OS X v.10.6.8 -Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Hi All.

I'm pretty new to the video editing world and have a question about workflow and collaborative editing with the equipment we're working with.

Here's what we're working with:

My Mac:
early 2011 MacBook Pro 13"
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Processor: 2.3GHZ Intel Core i5

My partner's Mac:
late 2013 MacBook Pro 15"
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Processor: 2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel i7

Software: Final Cut Pro 10.1.1 (Both of us)

Camera: Sony AX-100 4K

Codec: XAVC-S 4K

The fastest port we both have is Thunderbolt 1.

We choose to shoot in 4K because some of our stuff will be projected onto big screens. This may change to 1080p, but for now we're sticking with 4K which obviously limits our workflow.

Here is the workflow we're considering given the power (or lackthereof) of our respective computers . Any feedback or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

1. Dump footage to partner's computer
2. Import to FCP 10.1.1
3. Convert to proxy files
4. Export library or event (we haven't yet decided how we're going to organize media) to Thunderbolt external HD (looking at Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt 1TB - rec's on external HD's appreciated)
5. Import media AND/OR* converted proxy files from external HD to my computer.
6. We now both have the files and can edit as we agree upon.
*Is it possible to import the proxy file to be more efficient without losing connection to the original media? We've experimented with this a little bit, but the proxy thing is still fairly confusing to me.
7. We plan to keep all old projects on a 5TB USB 3.0/Thunderbolt external HD so we can access them as necessary.

The primary reasoning behind this workflow is:
A) My computer can only edit 4K files in proxy
B) My partner's computer can convert the files to proxy much faster than mine

My questions are numerous but the primary ones are:
1. Does this workflow seem efficient or inefficient given what we're working with?
2. Any glaring holes or improvements?
3. Any recommendations on collaborative editing workflow in general?

Thanks for reading. If I need to share any more information to get a better answer, please let me know. Any insight is much appreciated. Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.