Console Messages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2x2.66 gHZ Snow Leopard
I am new to the Forum and have searched the best I can to find an answer to this problem. I first noticed about two weeks ago that my console logs and files are filling up with hundreds of messages a day. Like " Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library//Startup Items;: No such file or directory. I have a Mac Pro, Running 10.6.8, and I understand
that Apple has quit supporting it.My last update was ITunes, May 29, 2014. This must have happened because of something in this update.
If so, One would think Apple is responsible, and should put out another update to correct this. I punch up Google, and hundreds are, or have, experienced the same thing, with no sure solution found. Is anyone on the Forum still using
Snow Leopard and having this problem? Check your Console messages. Thanks, Jack

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What makes you think this is a problem with the OS and not your computer? Are you even having any actual problems in day-to-day use? You may need to do some basic maintenance using Onyx. Or maybe... just maybe... your hard drive is failing, leading to file corruption and missing folders.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What makes you think this is a problem with the OS and not your computer? Are you even having any actual problems in day-to-day use? You may need to do some basic maintenance using Onyx. Or maybe... just maybe... your hard drive is failing, leading to file corruption and missing folders.

I am well aware of the maintenance programs, and perform them. My 1 TByte hard drive is in good shape, and I am not experiencing any other troubles, just this piling up of messages in console. I have over four thousand, as of this morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am well aware of the maintenance programs, and perform them. My 1 TByte hard drive is in good shape, and I am not experiencing any other troubles, just this piling up of messages in console. I have over four thousand, as of this morning.

Ok, but Snow Leopard didn't just wake up one day and develop a bug that Apple suddenly needs to fix. Let's try this... did you check the directory like the one listed to see if it is actually there or not? And make sure of the error... the directory should be "/System/Library/Startup Items", not with a // in there. If the folder is in fact missing, then you have bigger problems. Nothing goes missing in /System unless you did something yourself; you have some rogue program doing it (which would require prompting for an admin password anyway); file system corruption; or a failing hard drive. Just how do you know the hard drive is in good shape anyway? How old is it? Have you done an extended SMART test on it? See my tutorial for instructions.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Like " Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library//Startup Items;: No such file or directory.
That's not a valid directory so that would explain that. If that is indeed the error, I think you're probably safe to ignore it unless you notice some irregularities.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Console messages

And they say I'm grumpy. :\

No, I don't think you are grumpy at all. You seem to have the experience, and excellent knowledge of the Mac Systems and operation. I meant for you to look at it as well. Thanks:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I don't think you are grumpy at all. You seem to have the experience, and excellent knowledge of the Mac Systems and operation. I meant for you to look at it as well. Thanks:D

Well actually I do tend to be grumpy. Did you look for the folder as requested? Did you confirm that the error indeed has // in it? I'm assuming you made a typo, but it's not safe to assume anything around here. If it's not there, you should create it as explicitly suggested in one of your search hits.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well actually I do tend to be grumpy. Did you look for the folder as requested? Did you confirm that the error indeed has // in it? I'm assuming you made a typo, but it's not safe to assume anything around here. If it's not there, you should create it as explicitly suggested in one of your search hits.

Yes, I read your tutorial. It scares me to go into Terminal to do anything, except run Sudo periodics. I just wanted some of those posts read in the link that I posted above, to show that I was not the only one who has, or have had this problem. At the present time, I am going to ignore, and just live with it for a while.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I read your tutorial. It scares me to go into Terminal to do anything, except run Sudo periodics. I just wanted some of those posts read in the link that I posted above, to show that I was not the only one who has, or have had this problem. At the present time, I am going to ignore, and just live with it for a while.:)

I never said anything, anywhere, about using Terminal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. Did you read any of the many posts in the link I provided?

I skimmed over one. If you really think we're going to do more than that when you can't answer our basic questions, then you are sadly mistaken.

EDIT: you do realize that this is not Apple's forum and we do not work for Apple, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No, I don't think you are grumpy at all.

Yes, he is grumpy at times ;)

But to go to your problem, if you haven't got a startup file in the System Directory, it shouldn't really need it. BUT if these errors worry you then add the file to the directory from Terminal (and yes I saw your not comfortable with it, but if your going sudo commands this will be easy)

Open Terminal copy and paste
Code:
cd /System/Library
into it and hit Return.

Then copy and paste
Code:
sudo mkdir StartupItems
into the Window, and hit return. It will ask for your Password and type it in (be sure to type it correctly as it won't show you the ***** as you type because this is a Terminal Security thing) and hit return.

For fun and to clear and clean up your caches Reboot and you should be fine.

This is the only way you will get rid of the error. As to why you are getting it now is another thread topic, but this will stop it happening now.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Console messages

I skimmed over one. If you really think we're going to do more than that when you can't answer our basic questions, then you are sadly mistaken.

EDIT: you do realize that this is not Apple's forum and we do not work for Apple, right?

Well Grumpy, What do you mean WE? you are the only one with the crappy basic questions.Whether you ever admit it or not, there are hundreds of 10.6.8. users that have this problem, and none have found a satisfactory solution that I know of. I guess I was mistaken in thinking that you, in your spare time would look a little deeper into this.
I am fully aware that this is not Apple's Forum, and you do not work for Apple. Thank Goodness.
See, You are not the only one that can be Grumpy.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well Grumpy, What do you mean WE? you are the only one with the crappy basic questions.Whether you ever admit it or not, there are hundreds of 10.6.8. users that have this problem, and none have found a satisfactory solution that I know of. I guess I was mistaken in thinking that you, in your spare time would look a little deeper into this.

Please keep the snarkiness down. There is no need for it, and 2 wrongs don't make a right, and doesn't help in your search for answers.

As to a satisfactory solution, if you look above, I gave you a answer that WILL stop the errors you are getting.
As I said, I don't know why there isn't such a folder there, (as I have it in Yosemite, Mavericks and Mountain Lion) but the answer is to put folder with the Startup Items name into your /System/Library/ Folder. Done and done . . . . .

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, he is grumpy at times ;)

But to go to your problem, if you haven't got a startup file in the System Directory, it shouldn't really need it. BUT if these errors worry you then add the file to the directory from Terminal (and yes I saw your not comfortable with it, but if your going sudo commands this will be easy)

Open Terminal copy and paste
Code:
cd /System/Library
into it and hit Return.

Then copy and paste
Code:
sudo mkdir StartupItems
into the Window, and hit return. It will ask for your Password and type it in (be sure to type it correctly as it won't show you the ***** as you type because this is a Terminal Security thing) and hit return.

For fun and to clear and clean up your caches Reboot and you should be fine.

This is the only way you will get rid of the error. As to why you are getting it now is another thread topic, but this will stop it happening now.
Thank You TattooedMac for the courteous, informative, reply. I might try it a little later if I can work up the nerve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I was trying to look deeper into it. I know quite a bit about troubleshooting, and enjoy helping others.. The biggest problem "we" run into here is people who come looking for help, then won't follow instructions and argue with us about what we ask them to do. This IS my spare time and I don't care much to waste it on people who fight against our efforts to provide the help they ask for, nor do I need or care to defend why I ask "crappy" questions. If I was an imbecile, I wouldn't have the rep I have here. 'Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No nerve needed, just copy and paste, making sure when you highlight to copy the text, you don't inadvertently have a space at the beginning of the highlight.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OK guys. Let's all go to neutral corners and chill a bit. Frankly this thread is starting to remind me of some I've seen on other mot-so-friendly forums. I think we all know how long that will last around here.

Well Grumpy, What do you mean WE? you are the only one with the crappy basic questions.

The "crappy basic questions" are something of a necessity when trying to provide help over a forum. You may be very tech savvy and know which details are important and which ones are not. That's not true for everyone asking for help. Even experienced troubleshooters sometimes make incorrect assumptions about what's important or not.

Calling tech support for almost anything, computerized or not would result in similar kinds of questions. I've talked to Apple tech support before and been asked similar questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.