Undocumented Feature or Little Nuisance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I have just discovered a new "feature" in Mavericks (10.9.4):

A hidden file, icns in particular, as I haven't tried others, can no longer be made unhidden in GUI: a simple and quick "copy | remove full stop" way no longer works - copied and renamed file remains hidden, and I had to go to the Terminal and change flags to get the result.

Now, there might be some "lets protect the uninitiated" train of thought behind this, just as the reasoning for the [now] hidden Library, but it feels a bit too petty :\ - as I create my own icons for many drives, I'd like to keep backup copies ... now it involves firing up the Terminal ... well, perhaps I should be grateful, a little CLI practice ;D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I believe Command + Shft +. will work in list view.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Of course, to be able to see hidden files, it's ⌘⇧.

I was mumbling about changing a hidden file to unhidden, so that it can be viewed as any "normal" file (a duplicate icon file in this case).
It used to be enough to remove the leading full stop in the file name to change the attribute, now one needs to do it in the Terminal ...

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would any of this info help you with your "hiding" projects??

Thanks pm-r, but you've completely missed the point of my post:

I wasn't asking for help, in fact, I explained how to achieve a certain task, in view of changed OS X code.

It is not always necessary to offer advice, particularly when the matter discussed, is beyond one's level of comprehension - just picking a few words and "googling" them, however good the intentions, merely sidetracks the thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry to get you so upset David, but what I read and understood was that you were looking for an easier and quicker way of performing your new discovery.

I'll restrict my misguided attempt to help in the future. And by your tone, you seemed to be a bit miffed with osxx's post as well.

Anyway, have a nice day and it's just a beautiful summer day here.

Reaction score
Some files are just hidden no matter what, and don't necessarily have a full stop in front. There used to be a system file which controlled that but I cant find it on Mavericks.
Yes it's a pain but I guess you got to keep the noobs from killing things.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it's a pain but I guess you got to keep the noobs from killing things.

Absolutely! To be honest, it's not that much of a pain either - I quite enjoyed remembering chflags :D

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to get you so upset David, but what I read and understood was that you were looking for an easier and quicker way of performing your new discovery.

pm-r, dear old chap, you've misread it again, completely :D

I wasn't upset in the slightest, and my reply meant, just what it said.

Think of it in this way:

A heart surgeon posts a note, saying he had to perform a known, but slightly more complicated procedure, during an open heart surgery.

You then post a link to two articles, one about how to hold a scalpel, the other to discussion, started by someone, who was worried his heart might come flying out through his left nostril, if he sneeze hard. I simply pointed out, that just because words "scalpel" and "heart" were present in original post, the links are not necessarily relevant.

And by your tone, you seemed to be a bit miffed with osxx's post as well.

Certainly not! It was a perfectly accurate bit of information.

Anyway, have a nice day and it's just a beautiful summer day here.

Lucky you! Yes, we have had summer here too, yesterday ... Today it's back to normal ... lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.