A1225 3.06ghz 4GB 1TB HD Which OS??

Reaction score
I resurrected an A1225 but need to put an OS on it.. I am completely MAC illiterate and was curious as to what OS X would be the best fit...

Also, is it possible to legally (stress.. LEGALLY) purchase ISOs of the OS online for download?

Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Mactracker says that it will take the latest OS; ie 10.9 Mavericks.

You can't buy ISOs of the software, not legally anyway. You will need to start with 10.6 Snow Leopard and that will give you access to Apple's App Store, where you will be able to upgrade from there. Mavericks is free to download, but I'm not sure if you can go direct from Snow Leopard. Hopefully someone will come along and clarify that.

You can buy Snow Leopard on DVD from the online Apple store for £14/$19
UK Store
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (UK)
US Store
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Mactracker says that it will take the latest OS; ie 10.9 Mavericks.

You can't buy ISOs of the software, not legally anyway. You will need to start with 10.6 Snow Leopard and that will give you access to Apple's App Store, where you will be able to upgrade from there. Mavericks is free to download, but I'm not sure if you can go direct from Snow Leopard. Hopefully someone will come along and clarify that.

You can buy Snow Leopard on DVD from the online Apple store for £14/$19
UK Store
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (UK)
US Store
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Thanx for the info.. I was afraid I would have to pay an arm and a leg or a first born for the OS...

I was hoping for an ISO so I could download and install immediately. But purchasing a DVD I guess will have to do.

Thanks again..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact after purchasing Snow Leopard and updating to OS X.6.8, there are no more DVDs, all downloads. Open an Apple ID account and running OS X.6.8, go into App Store and download Mavericks OS X.9:-

https://appleid.apple.com/account

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.