Will the 2014 rMBP be a convertible laptop/tablet?

Reaction score
I'm trying to hold out, before buying my first MacBook. You guys have helped me make an informed decision on what specifications I need.... and I'm SO ready to place my order! But I keep reading to WAIT--HOLD OUT until the fall! And then Rush Limbaugh said it himself, and I can't stand that man (!!) but my mom loves him, so now even SHE is telling me to wait, wait, just wait a little longer! He's all excited about Yosemite and made it sounds like Apple is possibly going to turn out some great new MacBooks at the end of the year.

THEN I read on another site, (sorry, I didn't save the URL) that there is a good chance that the new rMBP 2014 just might be convertibles! A laptop that turns into a tablet. That would be great! I love my iPad, and would LOVE for my first Apple laptop to be a 2 in 1 deal.

What do you guys think? Is there any chance that the new rMBP's could be convertible laptops? I can't find any info online about WHEN the new hardware might come out later this year, but I did read that Apple is promising some new chip will definitely be available by xmas. If they are promising a new chip, then isn't the chance that the new chip is going to be in new hardware--isn't the chance pretty good?

I'm having a very hard time holding out. I want to place my order RIGHT now! Hahah! I know it would be smart to wait though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
THEN I read on another site, (sorry, I didn't save the URL) that there is a good chance that the new rMBP 2014 just might be convertibles! A laptop that turns into a tablet. That would be great!

What do you guys think?

If Apple does this (this Fall)…they're going to surprise a lot of people!

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't hold your breath for a convertible tablet. That has been tried and failed so many times, it's not even funny. Apple has drawn a clear line in the sand with the iPad. PCs are PCs and tablets are post-PC devices. This is kind of a corporate mantra for them and is in stark contrast to Microsoft's position. I don't see them changing it any time soon.

Any rumor you heard to the contrary is pure bunk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.