Safe to use a magnetic screwdriver fitting an optical hard drive caddy?

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to fit a new HD caddy into the optical drive space. The trouble is, the three screws which held the SuperDrive are incredibly tricky to screw back in, due to the lack of space involved. While a magnetic screwdriver would help keep each screw in place, would it be a very bad idea to use anything magnetic in such an area?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've done it myself without a problem. The magnetic tips on these is pretty weak, though I would take care to avoid getting it near the hard drive. If you need assurance, bear in mind that the iPad works with magnets as part of the Smart Cover.

Reaction score
I agree with lifeisabeach above - I haven't encountered any problems. As long as you keep the screwdriver only near the screws and not lingering above the hard drive, you should be good.

Reaction score
The glass on an iMac is held on with pretty strong magnets. Doesn't bother my hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The glass on an iMac is held on with pretty strong magnets. Doesn't bother my hard drive.

Ah yes... I forgot about those! Although, they aren't exactly on top of the drive either.

OP
P
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me exactly what size of Phillips screwdriver I will need as magnetic? There are three screws that hold the caddy or superdrive in place.

OP
P
Reaction score
Seems it's 3.5mm.

Does anyone have any other tips for reattaching these screws? I'm getting nowhere with a non-magntic screwdriver. They just fall and get trapped between the caddy and the computer's body. It's very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone have any other tips for reattaching these screws? I'm getting nowhere with a non-magntic screwdriver. They just fall and get trapped between the caddy and the computer's body. It's very frustrating.

The best tool for this is probably a "metal grabber". Here's an example of one on iFixit. I have a Belkin toolkit that came with a similar one.
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Metal-Grabber/IF145-043

Basically what you do is push on the "trigger" end and prongs come out of the opposite side to form a claw. You set the head of the screw inside the claw, then release the end trigger and the prongs will clamp down on the screw as they try to retract. Then just GENTLY work the screw into its mounting place until it has enough "bite" to stay in place. Remove the grabber, then finish screwing in with a screwdriver. Any decent computer repair toolkit should have one of these.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks LB. The last time I took my MB Pro apart I had to order new case screws because I had lost a few on a previous repair. My current repair kit doesn't have one of those. I plan to rectify that soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As life stresses gently. Very easy to start the thread wrong with a metal grabber, and things just do go downhill from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.