• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple and Java

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
Hi,

I have downloaded a video course that is based on a Java Platform.

I had written to the company citing this article from two years ago: I dumped Java two years ago: Apple drops Java after experts warn Mac users on its security | Reuters

They wrote:

"Concerning the article you are citing: The article you are referring to is 2 years old and thus, absolutely outdated. It refers to the in-browser version of Java, which you do not need for our courses.
Why Java: Java is needed to install the course. Our courses are more than just video. They run in an environment that integrates the video with many resources and provides many tools for working with the courses. Putting this onto your computer is more complex than just copying some files. That's what the Java-based installer does for you, and there is absolutely no security issue here."

Is there still a serious security concern with Java?

This is the most recent I have been able to locate: Java updates available for OS X on August 28, 2013

Thanks,

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's still has a reputation for being insecure (as far as I know) but it's probably not going to cause much harm as long as you practice safe computing (not opening shady files, not clicking on questionable links, not browsing shady sites, etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.