To fix or buy new

Reaction score
Hi
Just recently (last 3-4days) I have been having random graphics related issues and crashes. Symptoms include:
Boot up fails with irregular dark grey graphics on the light grey boot screen
Columns of "boxes" of graphics transposed laterally
When it does boot successfully the system crashes after 15-20mins with major pixelation issues on screen

I have tried:
Time Machine to days before issue arose (no effect)
Disk repair / permissions / Onyx - all of which did improve performance but the graphics issue still exists.
Safe mode boot doesn't fix issue
Benchmark tests show the system to be running at appropriate speed.
I could not get as far a graphics benchmarking without a crash.
I am loathe to do a full reinstall - I suspect it won't help anyway

So I'm suspecting the graphics card is dying. My question is whether on a late 2009 27" imac this is worth repairing ( I have no idea of cost or even if it's possible) or whether I should just start afresh. Given that it'll cost ~$200 just to have it assessed if it's not practical to fix then I'd rather spend that money on a bigger hard drive on a new imac.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with your diagnosis Zebitty and five years is a pretty decent run from a computer so the time may be nearing for an upgrade anyway. And the huge speed difference ah well!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks guys

In response the firmware update - it stated I didn't need it when I tried to install. also my imac was the first batch after those early flickering issues so I never had those. To be honest in my attempts to install the firmware I was having problems worse than ever before just booting up - so I think it is time to move on. It's just that we've been through so much together that it's sometimes hard to let go. But I know deep down that I can learn to love again and that there are plenty of other iMacs out there for me.
:'(

Younger, faster, thinner iMacs. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Before giving up...try two things:

1. Booting the computer from an external hard drive with a fresh install of the Mac OS.

If the problems remain...then the problem is definitely hardware. And if it is hardware...I would do one more thing:

2. Open the iMac up & give it a good cleaning with some canned air. This will make sure the problem isn't from excess heat caused by dirt blockages.

Two things worth trying before spending $1200-$1500 on a brand new computer.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds more like a wedding ' been through so much together' than a lump of plastic and metal!!!!

My Macs have been precious to me since the 1989 Original LC ~ when the &^&%$#@ things work well!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions.

The external reboot changed the nature of the graphics issue but didn't fix it. The open and clean event was a bit more interesting. I haven't opened a mac in a long time - I used to fiddle with both mac and PC systems back when there was room to swing a cat inside the box. But as the cases got smaller it was a process of increasing frustration to meddle due to a condition known as meaty fists which limits my ability to get my hands in between components. :p

But having got it back together I can report that there wasn't that much dust (which surprised me) and the fans now work fantastically, and I can feel the gentle waft of electronic air on the other side of the table. On the other hand, the graphics card seems to have died completely now. Unless I didn't reconnect it properly but I don't think that likely as it can only go in one way and clips into place.

Anyway, off to the shops to buy a new 'un.

Thanks all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I thought Nick's suggestion was a very good one - but alas!! :(

I guess you don't want to try replacing the graphics card which I didn't realize was a socket replaceable type:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2309+or+2374+Graphics+Card+Replacement/9553

I have no idea where or what the cost of one is these days, but just a possible option. ;)

Or as you suggested and as my parents told me regarding loving relationships - there are lots of fish in the sea!! Just make sure you get the right one. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If replacing the graphics card is desirable. Give Powerbookmedic.com and eBay a try for the part.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.