mixing FB RAM with ECC RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 8 core -HDD Raid 0 -20Gb/Ram -ATI5870
Hello!
As stated in the subject, I was wondering if I could use two type pf memory on my mac pro. Currently it's runnig with 8Gb ecc ram and i wish to add 16 Gb ram fully buffered.
Thx in advance,
JM

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello and the for your quick reply.

The question was if the Mac pro would be able to run properly when mixing two type of ddr2 ram.
For now it's running 8 gb of 800 MHz ECC ram. I d'like to add 16 gb of fully buffered ( clockspeed also 800 MHz).
What remain unclear to me it's the difference between fb and ecc ram.
Regards,
JM

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have not had time to research this much yet but I bet it won't work. I had a 2006 Mac Pro that took the fully buffered ram. When I ordered ram I had to make sure I did not get anything else. I suspect the same is true for ECC ram. I'll do some digging and see what I find out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Never never never ever mix types of RAM! You are just begging for trouble. You can even have trouble mixing RAM from different manufacturers, even if specced the same.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello all,
after all the FB Ram I ordered worked very well on my macpro ( it seems they were ecc too). The only diffference is about the CAS latency wich i cannot notice any negativ or positiv impact on the system.

Regards,
JM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Your Mac needs both. Error-correcting code memory (ECC) is a type of computer data storage that can detect and correct the most common kinds of internal data corruption. ECC memory is used to prevent data corruption.

FB Ram or Fully buffered has an advanced memory buffer (AMB) between the memory controller and the memory module. The memory controller actually writes to the AMB which in turn, acts like a sponge holding data for processing.

Since a lot of Mac Pro's are used for intensive work like video editing, photo work, etc, the advantage of FB DIMM's that are ECC is nice to have. They will cost more than there unbuffered, non-ecc cousins though.

And always, always, always match the memory. Never mix it. It might work....doubtful...but I wouldn't be surprised if the machine started acting weird.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.