mac does'nt see my HDD

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Guess we found our problem. Today i tried the HDD with my friends 2014 DELL laptop running windows 8, with USB 3.0, guess what, the light on HDD is on but DELL doesn't see my HDD.
My sony vaio was running on windows7 and USB2.0, which worked absolutely fine with HDD.

Like you said earlier, "Works with Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows® XP", either this bloody HDD is not supporting USB3.0, or this just works on those three OS...Though seagate claims it should work on USB3.0.. am not sure....

Either could be true. Seems short-sighted on Seagate's part. Thanks for letting us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" mid 2010 MBP El Capitan 10.11.6; iPad Air 2 iOS 9
I have a Toshiba 1.5 GB USB external drive that cannot get enough power when I connect its USB cable to a non-powered USB hub (i.e., does not use a power adapter). The drive does get sufficient power when I connect it directly to one of my MBP's USB ports. I don't have that same problem with Seagate small 1 GB drives.

So, are you connecting the 1.5 GB drive directly to one of your MBP's USB ports?

Reaction score
Go to Seagate's site they have multiple notes and suggestions. Seems they have multiple complaints about this problem. I have had to download multiple fixes to get 3 of my 4 seagate drives to show up on Maverick. They would show up on a 10.6 drive I kept so I could run some programs that would not run on the newer versions on OS 10. Hope this helps as I cannot give you a specific fix.
Floyd

Reaction score
This may be too basic, but I thought that I'd bring it up, as it is often a problem...

Click on the desktop (or click on the two-tone blue face in your Dock) to get into the Finder.

Finder menu --> Preferences --> General --> make sure that "Show These Items On The Desktop" has "Hard Drives" enabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.