Automating folder names

Reaction score
Hi,

I work in a small studio with 2 other designers.

We're looking for a way to automate out folder naming system.

We currently type each new folders name out when a new job comes in, which is fine, but it would be cool if we could automate this to speed up the process and avoid any duplicate folder names.

For example, within a 'current jobs' folder, we would have a folder named 0001_jobnamehere. We would then like to be able to click on the new folder icon and the new folder to be named 0002_jobnamehere.

Is that possible at all?

Any advice would be appreciated,

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
There is a program called "Hazel" that runs in the background and can automate tasks like this...
You just set up rules and it will follow them through. I imagine you could set it up where if a new folder is created and has the default "Untitled Folder" name in a specific folder, Hazel can take it and do with it what you want... While I haven't done this, I'm sure it might be possible.

The other option is to use Automator and design your own service/folder action/workflow that you can run on the folder itself. If I was more proficient I would show you how. Alas, I'm not that nifty but maybe someone here is... Also you could just mess with Automator until you get it right. :)

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Flavacraze, I'll look into Hazel today.

I did have a play around in Automator but it's not omething I've used before so had no clue what I was doing. I did manage to automate the renaming of existing folders, but that wasn't what I was looking for!

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
Sorry about the lack of help with Automator... I was expecting someone to jump in who knew what they were doing with AppleScript and Automator.
Hazel is really neat for all kinds of things. It does cost money... Don't think I mentioned it before but honestly, it's worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.