Firmware 7.1.2 killed my Ipad3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My ipad was working 100%.

I just downloaded the latest firmware, 3/4s of the way threw the install it freezes and crashes.

It then tells me to connect to ITunes, ITunes tells me Error (01) cannot restore.

I take it in to an Apple store who tells me the same thing; yep its broke you're SOL.. Want another $900.00 dollar ipad? (No... I'm a college student who already gave you every penny for this one.. why is it broke?)

Has anyone else had this problem? or know how to fix it?

This is my only device, I used it for communication and classwork; replacing it is not feasible.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the genius at the Apple store says it can't be repaired, they should have offered you a refurbished iPad 3 at a modest cost. (If any were available.) You would have had to turn in your broken one.

I updated my iPad 3 to iOS 7.1.2 without any difficulty. By the way, that's not a firmware update, it's an iOS (operating system) update. There's no way the iOS update broke your iPad, the fact that it broke was very likely coincidental.

OP
P
Reaction score
That I've never had a problem with it and it chose to blow up right in the middle of the IOS update is very coincidental... He suggested a replacement for $400. I did not think that was modest, for a problem I did not cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
If the genius at the Apple store says it can't be repaired, they should have offered you a refurbished iPad 3 at a modest cost. (If any were available.) You would have had to turn in your broken one.

I updated my iPad 3 to iOS 7.1.2 without any difficulty. By the way, that's not a firmware update, it's an iOS (operating system) update. There's no way the iOS update broke your iPad, the fact that it broke was very likely coincidental.

Hi Chscag - I just updated my iPad 2 & wife's iPad Mini and noticed that a message appeared briefly stating a 'Firmware' update, so not sure if this newest offering was just for iOS software - likely is unimportant for the OP's problem.

Just wondering if there is a way to get back to factory settings on an iPad that has had the problem described (despite the advise given by the geniuses) - i.e. could an attempt to go into DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode help? A nice description HERE from the iPad Forums - now I've never had to go this far but wondering what the experience of others may be? Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would have thought the genius at the Apple store would have tried DFU mode. If he didn't, he wasn't much of a genius. His iPad 3 likely had hardware failure but it's always possible that DFU mode could have restored it if in fact it wasn't tried and it wasn't the hardware itself.

OP
P
Reaction score
All they did was try to restore it from two different computers and then tried to sell me a new Ipad for $900.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
All they did was try to restore it from two different computers and then tried to sell me a new Ipad for $900.

Hi - well not sure what the 'geniuses' tried, but take a look at the link provided in my post - won't hurt to give it a try but no guarantee - good luck! Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, read through the link that RadDave provided above and try using the DFU mode with your Mac at home. If it works, your iPad will boot back up and revert back to factory mode. You can either try the upgrade again or use it the way it is. Let us know if it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I was just reading an article on iMore.com regarding a number of people having problems with the 7.1.2 upgrade causing problems. All were fixable by putting the device into the "recovery" mode or as RadDave pointed out DFU mode. Here is a link to the article and also links to a recovery mode description.

Hope this helps:

Please do this before you upgrade to iOS 7.1.2! | iMore

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.