New to app development

Reaction score
New is an understatement, I have no programming experience. I should say I have no programming language experience. I program automation systems, crestron, savant, etc... Where is a good place for me to start learning iOS development?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A good starting point wouldn't be to jump right into iOS development and instead, you'd be better off getting your feet wet in any code you can to understand certain concepts. If, however, you want to dive right into iOS development, here's Apple's starter guide.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the input vansmith. Can you recommend a language that would be good to start with? I would like something that I can grasp and be challenged, but I don't want to learn something that is out dated or irrelevant. Thanks again

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you just want to learn concepts and techniques (most of which are transferable), I'd recommend Python - it's preinstalled, widely supported and fairly easy to learn. Once you get some basic concepts and techniques down, you can migrate to ObjC and iOS development (or any one of multiple frameworks that support iOS).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.