Transfer data during OSX install or via Migration Assistant after?

Reaction score
Hi

I have a MacBookPro 2012 that was my main computer but I now wish to use it for editing and nothing else.

So I have got a MacPro 2007 and I want this to be my at home base computer. I have only just got this.

I wasn't sure if you needed the reason why I did this so I ask the question first and if you needed more info you can read on... :)

Is it better to clean install OSX and then when thats up and running do a migration assistant from my MBP time machine? Or do it all from install?

My concern about doing Mavericks clean and then migration assistant is when I did that a long time ago on another set of machines it set up two admins, two home folders etc (one from install and one from information coming from Migration Assistant) and sometimes it caused confusion but it mainly just looked messy - and there were some admin issues at times if I remember.

Whats best? Thanks

More info:

100% of my stuff including libraries, carboncopy settings, apps etc etc are on the MBP. I installed mavericks onto the MacPro and when I did this I did migration assistant to get everything over so this could be my new main machine.

However I'm having a few issues - it changes the computers name automatically every couple of minutes, some times more. I can't use internal dropbox. ScreenShare connects but doesn't let me use mouse etc

So anyway, I wondered if this was down to when I migrated across.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be honest... there is no way I would attempt to migrate a newer MacBook Pro to an older one using the Migration Assistant. It would best to install OS X clean on the 2007 and I would probably not install Mavericks on it either. But that's me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mavericks won't run on a 2007 Mac Pro. Whilst they are 64bit architecture they us 32bit firmware. Last operating system you can install without making a hack is Lion OS X.7.

OP
P
Reaction score
Mavericks won't run on a 2007 Mac Pro. Whilst they are 64bit architecture they us 32bit firmware. Last operating system you can install without making a hack is Lion OS X.7.

I should have explained that I already have it running! Which means I must have a 2008! Nice, I just saved a year on my mac without realising!!!

Thanks both - I'll look into your advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Plexberry you do have an Apple ID?

Suggest downloading Mavericks on the MBP, burn to a USB thumb drive, pop it in the Mac Pro, boot from it by holding down 'C'. Format the drive and do a clean install. Assuming TM is on an external hook it up ton the Mac Pro and Migrate. Use this method and an 8GB thumb drive to copy Mavericks. In a monthor two when Yosemite is released, use the thumb drive to make a bootable installer with the same thumb drive.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-usb-installation-drive-1450280026

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi - thanks thats very helpful - yes I do have an apple ID - i use it when installing Mavericks - right?

I've now done a re-clean install. 3rd time in a week! This time without migrating across when installing. Sadly this hasn't resolved the issue so I shall start a new thread on it as it will probably get lost in here.

Many thanks for all your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.